Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A day at the museum

Article about: I just returned from a short overnight trip to Munich, which included a visit to the Deutsches Museum (see Deutsches Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a little info). (Come to th

Default A day at the museum

I just returned from a short overnight trip to Munich, which included a visit to the Deutsches Museum (see Deutsches Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a little info). (Come to think of it; the last time I went there must have been when I was still a teenager... some 25 years ago. How time passes!)

Well worth visiting, this is a large museum of technology and science, which is in no way focused on military history; but some of the exhibits on display - speficially in the aviation section - certainly are of interest in this respect. Thus, I thought I would share them with the membership here.

I must admit that the picture quality is not as good as I would have liked it to be, but lighting was not ideal and, to be honest, my camera is not the latest and greatest, either. Right, here we go...

Let us start with one of the best-known and popular German aircraft types of the pre-WW1 era, the Rumpler Taube [= pigeon], which even featured on the Imperial-era pilot's badges. This particular plane was donated to the museum way back in 1911:

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

Another plane by Rumpler, this is a Rumpler C IV. A successful design, which was built in large numbers during WW1, this is one of two still in existence today:

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

Much newer - it was built in 1975 - here is a 1:1 scale model of a Fokker Dr I triplane, made famous by the "Red Baron" Manfred von Richthofen:

A day at the museum

A day at the museum
    Last edited by HPL2008; 02-25-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Default Re: A day at the museum

Representing a different kind of military aviation, here is a 1908 vintage airship gondola from the Parseval airship P.L. 2. Conditions were primitive and unpleasant for the crew, who were exposed to the elements and engine noise:

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

That looks a very interesting museum and i'll have to try to get there one day, thanks for posting!..

Thank you sharing these interesting photos...amazing that they escaped destruction a'la Versailles Treaty...and the bombing of WW2...true survivors and the men who took to the air in these contraptions had balls, that's for sure, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

Another rather famous aircraft, here we have a Fieseler Fi 156 "Storch" [= stork]. This specific plane was built in 1939 and saw long post-war use by the Swiss air force (hence the Swiss nationality markings); it was only decommissioned in 1963:

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

Its neighbor at the museum is a Messerschmitt Me 109 E fighter plane. This one was built in 1938 and saw service with the Legion Condor:

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

It is a great museum and the displays look great and as I remember them with a fading memory from when I visited there in 1985. I seem to remember there was a giant salt mine display and lots of other items. A good day out is what I remember.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Naturally, there is a Junkers Ju 52 as well. Another hugely successful design, of which 5,000 units were built between 1932 and 1952, this is one of the post-war examples, a French-built plane from 1947:

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

Great pics, thanks for posting. I always enjoy aircraft displays.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Naturally, there is a Junkers Ju 52 as well. Another hugely successful design, of which 5,000 units were built between 1932 and 1952, this is one of the post-war examples, a French-built plane from 1947:

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum
    A great example of Tante Ju!....

Interesting that the French would choose a German design in 1947...I knew that the Swiss had the Ju52 as well...Thanks again!
    cheers, Glenn

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast