Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Europe Driving Trip Battlfields / Auschwitz etc

Article about: Thanks for the suggestions, still working on this. I'll post up my iteineray when I've done it . Any more suggestions welcome.

Default Europe Driving Trip Battlfields / Auschwitz etc

HI All - I'm going a European driving trip & looking for places to visit. I'm going to Aushwitz & Colditz & was hoping someone could suggest places of interest to visit? Poland, Germany etc ?
    Thanks

Great forum

Default Re: Europe Driving Trip Battlfields / Auschwitz etc

Welcome on the Forum! What do you like? Battlefields, Museums?

Hello and welcome, mate!

I just dug out my old thread with links, perhaps that is useful?

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/after...ectory-120455/

Chris
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Go to Berlin, loads to see!....

?

Europe is a big place so it would help if you could give us some general headings? What countries etc........

Welcome to the forum.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Would agree with Gunny, Visit Berlin then head east to seelow, oderbruch Kustin then swing south west and visit Halbe the list could go on for ever, just remember to get out of your car and walk a lottle to get a real feel for the area. I would also recommend tony le tissiers books regarding this area for more detailed ideas of where to go what to see and the events that happened here. If you need more info drop me a pm.

Regards

Robin

?

Welcome to the forum,

As stated above, Europe is full of history related to WWII. How long do you intend on staying in the region? Both Auschwitz and Colditz will offer memorable experiences, but allow at least a full day for Auschwitz as it will be necessary to visit both the Stammlager (main camp, Auschwitz-I) and Auschwitz-II, Birkenau. Colditz should be allotted a minimum of a few hours too, and is an excellent tour. Between the two sites, Dresden, KL-Gross-Rosen and Prague are all within a few hours, each offering its own experience for the visitor. Prague is full of sites related to the occupation, with fine museums and untouched points of interest all over the city. Krakow also has its fair share of points of interest. I could go on...

Regards,

Carl

p.s. I suggest spending a few hours on the forum. You should find many of the notable sights covered by various members, which will allow you to make your own decisions.

Thanks for the link Chris, I'll take a look & have a search

Quote by Little Mermaid View Post
    Hello and welcome, mate!

I just dug out my old thread with links, perhaps that is useful?

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/after...ectory-120455/

Chris

Thank you for the welcome, I suppose I should have introduced myself formally.

I have a business meeting in Switzerland & I'll be staying around Lake Geneva. So I'll be heading there first & then plan to drive off elsewhere for 5 days or so. I've been to Auschwitz 10 years ago as well as Colditz - both of which were excellent. I'm open to suggestions tbh, Prague, Czech Rep, Poland. I'll have a search around the site & see if I can find anything. In the meantime any suggestions are appreciated. I can drive back to the UK through Germany & Holland so any places there would be ideal. I do like the East though & can feel Eastern Europe luring me!
    Thanks

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Europe is a big place so it would help if you could give us some general headings? What countries etc........

Welcome to the forum.

The Obersalzberg is one of my favourites. Great Documentation Centre with accessible tunnels and quite a bit of the remaining buildings, albeit foundations.

Dokumentation Obersalzberg: Home

Plus, the wonderful Grassl Enzianbrennerei is in Berchtesgaden with, in my opinion (and I do know my Schnäpse!) some of the finest Bavarian Schnäpse around.

Enzianbrennerei Grassl in Berchtesgaden - Zeit lassen, Enzian trinken!

Have a great trip.

Martin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast