Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The Flak Towers in Vienna

Article about: Hi Guys, last month Lez and I went to Austria to stay with our friend Craig ("Roughshooter") from the forum. We had a fantastic time! While we were there we walked around Vienna fo

Default The Flak Towers in Vienna

Hi Guys, last month Lez and I went to Austria to stay with our friend Craig ("Roughshooter") from the forum.

We had a fantastic time! While we were there we walked around Vienna for a day. Two Flak towers are situated in the Augarten Park. They are very impressive structures! Standing 56m high.

Some info here:

World War II Sites - Wien (Austria)

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Flak Towers in Vienna   The Flak Towers in Vienna  

The Flak Towers in Vienna   The Flak Towers in Vienna  

Default Re: The Flak Towers in Vienna

There are others elsewhere in Wien, not the least of which on the grounds of the Landesverteidigungsakademie in the Stiftgasse in Mariahilf. It is still in use for military purposes. Unlike almost all the Flaktuerme in Berlin, the various ones in Wien endure as our mentor shows the examples in the Augarten.

Hi FB, we did not get around to seeing the others, but I will certainly seek them out next time we go.

Here is another link about them. Contained therein is another link about half way down the page, which is worth checking out, as it shows some internal views.

Flaktuerme in Wien

Cheers, Ade.

The Flaktuerme in the 3d District near Landstrasser Hauptstrasse (in the Arenberg Park) I know well, as I do the one in the Stiftkaserne. The partner Turm to that in the Stiftgasse is off the Maria Hilferstrasse, up several blocks, near Gumpfendorferstrasse. It is an aquarium of all things. The Viennese simply accept these edifices as yet another part of their rich and varied history. Or they ignore them and enjoy life while complaining a great deal amid marvelous art, music and pleasing food. As your attached article in German points out, the sum of these fortifications offered protection to the 1st district of Vienna, i.e. the very center of town within the Ringstrasse. A good thing they did, since compared with Hamburg and Berlin, this part of Vienna retains so much of its former appeal and appearance in contrast to many other leading cities pulverized by bombs. I am partial, though, as Wien is a second home to me.

Next time you go to Vienna, and against the chance I am there, I invite you to my favorite cafe, which is not far from the Stiftgasse.

Great photos!...

What images! Gothic and yet post-modern.

?

I think it one of those Medal of Honor games where you jump onto one of these!!!!!.. I wondered where they got the idea from??? or indeed where these things real??.. I didn't lay awake worrying but now I know they are real....Something else to tuck into my brain cell... Thanks Ade.. Cheers Terry.

Very nice, Ade! What are these being used for today? I visit a flak tower in Berlin that they converted to a mountain climbing wall!

The Stiftgasse tower in the defense academy is the Austrian army command post in crisis and war; its twin nearby is an aquarium.
    The two near the Arenberg Park near Landstrasser Hauptstrasse I am not sure about; the ones in the Augarten, near the Prater I have never seen, actually.
    Some are used for museum storage. They are all cultural landmarks of high merit for Viennese.
    Unlike Hamburg and Berlin, the demolition of the things was unfeasible.
    The Haus des Meeres in the Esterhazy Park off the Gumpfendorferstrasse is also used by rock climbers.