MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Fort George, Inverness

Article about: My German nephew a 2x Afghanistan veteran is visiting along with other assorted relatives this week. Rather than have him subjected to another day of shortbread and distillery tours he and I

Default Fort George, Inverness

My German nephew a 2x Afghanistan veteran is visiting along with other assorted relatives this week. Rather than have him subjected to another day of shortbread and distillery tours he and I visited Fort George which is about an hours drive from home.

The fort is considered a near perfect model of a Napoleonic era Artillery fortification and guards the approaches to Inverness along the Moray Firth. It never saw action is still an active military base and is currently the home of the Black Watch. Would un-reservedly recommend a visit to anyone in the area it houses the Regimental museums of the Cameronians, Seaforth Highlanders etc. Any questions please ask.Fort George, Inverness
    Fort George, Inverness
    Fort George, Inverness
    Fort George, Inverness

The great thing about the Fort is that it is still a working military instillation, Soldiers go about their everyday business and are always happy to chat and answer questions.

When we arrived we were met with the skirl of pipes a small parade was taking place to advertise the founding of a new Military tattoo which will now be held annually at the fort.
    Fort George, Inverness
    Fort George, Inverness
    Fort George, Inverness
    Fort George, Inverness
    The view across the narrow straits of the Firth was superb, even better was watching the small pod of Bottle nose Dolphins chasing the Salmon
    Fort George, Inverness

I could spend all day posting photo's of the Museums but here are a few teasers for your delectation.....Fort George, Inverness
    Fort George, Inverness

The flags in the case behind the gun are the Regimental colours carried at Waterloo
    Fort George, Inverness
    Fort George, Inverness
    Fort George, Inverness
    Fort George, Inverness

The box allegedly belonged to Hitler and was recovered from his office in the Fuhrer bunker in Berlin.
    Fort George, Inverness

thanks for showing Robin.

?

Great museum. The lady in red certainly is one of the more interesting displays I have seen at any military museum. Scotch ladies are lovely.

?

Excellent insight Robin next time I'm up that way I will make a beeline for this museum..Cheers Terry.

Give me a shout if you do, maybe we could meet up for a beer or two.

?

Roger that Robin..If I'm up that wau I will give yo a shout I do like an Ale or two.. Cheers Terry.