Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Franklin Roosevelt Historic Site, Hyde Park, NY

Article about: Hello everyone, I came across these photos that I took earlier in the year during a trip to the home of Franklin Roosevelt in Hyde Park, NY. Although not a battlefield nor a military site, t

Default Franklin Roosevelt Historic Site, Hyde Park, NY

Hello everyone,

I came across these photos that I took earlier in the year during a trip to the home of Franklin Roosevelt in Hyde Park, NY. Although not a battlefield nor a military site, the FDR home played an important role in the history of WW2 and was often refered to as the "Summer White House". Various world leaders including Winston Churchill were guests at the mansion, called "Springwood". After Roosevelt's death in 1945, the National Park Service took over the property and although much of the area has been upgraded and restored, you can still find original items around the property that date from the time that Roosevelt actually lived there. In particular is the horse barn which is overlooked by the tourists and has remained largely untouched for over 65 years.
    FDR and Elenor are buried right on the property and the gravesite is seen by thousands of visitors every year.
    This 1930's era gas pump is near what was the garage. FDR had a specially modified car that he would drive around town with and I have no doubt that this is the gas pump that was used to refuel it with. This historically important artifact has been overlooked by the National Park Service and is not easy to spot by the visiting public.
    Inside the horse barn can be found this old tile mosaic near the stables.
    The original sink and plumbing are still intact and have been in place for over 70 years
    The outside of the barn, one of the least visited locations and probably one of the most untouched of all the structures at Hyde Park NHS.
    An early electric junction box, now empty, shows traces of the original wiring. This has been upgraded, although not recently.

Granted these are not nearly as thought-provoking as some of the images from the various battlefields around the world, I figured someone might find these overlooked relics interesting.

Cheers,

Tim

?

Default Re: Franklin Roosevelt Historic Site, Hyde Park, NY

Thank you Tim, interesting and very well taken images.

Regards,

Carl

Default Re: Franklin Roosevelt Historic Site, Hyde Park, NY

No doubt a very important and historic place.
    Thank you for showing.
    Cheers
    Nuno