Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German cemetery in Kharkov Ukraine

Article about: Gents, Mi wife is from Kharkov Ukraine. As you know Kharkov is a very famous Battlefield from 2ww. In this city the German won their last Battle on the eastern front in Winter 43. I have bee

Default German cemetery in Kharkov Ukraine

Gents,

Mi wife is from Kharkov Ukraine. As you know Kharkov is a very famous Battlefield from 2ww. In this city the German won their last Battle on the eastern front in Winter 43. I have been to Kharkov maybe 30 times during the last 10 years. In the summer of 2013 my wifes nephue took me outside the city to the open and wave landscape. This cemetery is enormous and in many ways beautiful even if it is a sad Place. In this Place you get the feeling of how many yound men who was left burried in the Ukrainian Earth. Here are some photos:
    German cemetery in Kharkov UkraineGerman cemetery in Kharkov UkraineGerman cemetery in Kharkov UkraineGerman cemetery in Kharkov UkraineGerman cemetery in Kharkov UkraineGerman cemetery in Kharkov UkraineGerman cemetery in Kharkov UkraineGerman cemetery in Kharkov UkraineGerman cemetery in Kharkov UkraineGerman cemetery in Kharkov UkraineGerman cemetery in Kharkov Ukraine

Nice photos and i was surprised how well it's maintained, then i noticed Kriegsgräberstätte! Thanks for sharing!...

thanks for showing pics.

?

Thanks for posting , have you visited any of the other memorial or Battlefiled sites around Kharkov ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi.

Yes I have been at some museums...I can post some photos tomorrow...

?

My uncle and his crew from a Junkers JU-88 are buried there. I have never been to visit. Does anyone have information on how the soldiers are buried there (individual graves or mass)?

This is mass graves. The cemetery is located on a beautiful place. The landscape is so quiet and beautiful.

?

Quote by Berlin45 View Post
    Hi.

Yes I have been at some museums...I can post some photos tomorrow...
    Any more photos ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks for showing.

I never walk past a military cemetery of any nationality without stopping to tip my hat.

As an old soldier myself I know that these places are the earthly link to men who, whatever flag they followed did not die in bed or from choking on a chicken bone but with "their boots on" in the most dreadful of circumstances. Such places stand as a warning from history to all of mankind and we ignore them at our peril!

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."