Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Gestapo HQ Prague

Article about: Hello Carl, I see where are these buidings.I' ll try to see them this year. After the Army museum, of coursee.

?

Default Gestapo HQ Prague

Going through a few photographs from a while ago, and I came across these shots that I thought I would share with you all.

This building, in the centre of Prague, is the former Geheimestaatspolizei (GESTAPO) HQ.

The memorial on the corner of the building covers the area where once a large iron adler adorned the facade. Regarding the exterior, not so much has changed other than that...and the obviously different flags fluttering in the autumn breeze.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gestapo HQ Prague   Gestapo HQ Prague  

Gestapo HQ Prague  

Default Re: Gestapo hq, prague

Great photos Carl, the building has quite an ominous presence.

A place of fear and dread 70 years ago !!

Nice photo Carl

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Gives you the shivers!!!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Thank you for the kind comments gents, when time allows, I shall share more images of this beautiful city...together with reminders of her dark and tortured past, such as the images shown above. Whenever I walk past this building (we live nearby), I often glance down at the basement and wonder "if walls could talk". Dusk is when this dark structure is at its best though, as the light fades the shadows seem to creep up around the district and its inhabitants, almost drawing a dark veil over the chilling history of the place.

Regards,

Carl

Hello! know this building but not its was the Gestapo building. Many thanks. And SS Kaserns?

?

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    And SS Kaserns?
    Sorry lebus, "SS Kaserns...?" I would love to help you, but I am not sure what you mean...

Regards,

Carl

Prague is one of my favourite towns. Nice pics! But not so nice things happened in Prague and in Czech Republic to the German POWs and civilians after WWII ended. So the steets and houses of Prague have seen many terrible things also after May 1945. As this is mostly WWII forum I do not want to start a topic about Czech war crimes against German POWs and civilians but every time I visit this beautiful town I still can not forget all these things.

Hello, I would like to know where was the S Kaserns.

?

Hi Lebus,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your question, I was on holiday.

Anyway, the Waffen-SS Kasernes in Prague were located at the "Adolf Hitler Barracks", the former Czechoslovakian Army Staff College building, in an area to the West of the city centre called Dejvice. If you know Prague, then it is Prague 6, and the building is near the metro station Dejvice.

The SS also used a massive training area at Benešov, a town outside of Prague. The Benešov location saw LAH units amongst others, and had many thousands of SS present during the Third Reich's occupation of Czechoslovakia. Waffen-SS barracks were also located at Ruzyně, the site of the airport.

The law faculty of Charles University was utilised as an SS Headquarters during the war too, and a hospital at Vyšehrad, on the banks of the Vltava, received many of the wounded from the campaign on the Eastern front.

Regards,

Carl

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast