Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Gettysburg Pa.

Article about: Here are three pics I could find quickly. They are from the top of Little Round Top in the Union position, adjacent to the Signal Corps post. They are looking West towards the Confederate (S

Default Re: Gettysburg Pa.

Here are three pics I could find quickly. They are from the top of Little Round Top in the Union position, adjacent to the Signal Corps post. They are looking West towards the Confederate (Southern) lines of General Longstreet. The one pic with the cannon you can see Devil's Den, the big clump of rocks and boulders in the valley. Heavy fighting occurred in those rocks with many casualties on both sides. Another pics faces northwest towards the Union lines (the "fish hook") and Pickett's Charge. The statue is of General Gouvenor Warren, Union commander of the signal corps who discovered that Little Round Top was undefended. His discovery resulted in General Joshua Chamberlain's 20th Maine bayonet charge on the extreme left flank of the Union lines. I will find more as I find them. One day I will throw up some of Antietam in a separate discussion.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gettysburg Pa.   Gettysburg Pa.  

Gettysburg Pa.  

?

I went to Gettysburg and many other battlefields from that war not too long ago.
    I can not express, how it was to go there after having read so much about it.

mauser9, if you go south of the Mason-Dixon Line, dont call it the Civil War!
    I learned that the hard way in Richmond years ago. I was talking to some local gents and ladies, who were heavily into the history of the war. I was going Civil War this and Civil War that.
    After one of the party I was talking to developed a tic after each mention of Civil War, I was finally told that:
    "We dont call it the Civil War! Its either 'The War Between The States' or 'The War For Northern Aggression!"
    It was said with a twinkle in the eye, but still ...LOL.

Little Round Top

The not so pleasent view from the Confederate side towards Little Round Top

------------------

Appomatox Court House (thats the name of the village BTW)

The Cairo

?

Hope to get there on my next trip to the States , thanks for all the good advice where to go
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

My wife has an ancestor on her mothers side of the family who was a members of Cobb's legion (9th Georgia cavalry) and I know the unit were at Gettysburg, though I don't know if he was at the battle.

Great to see all the pictures of the site.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Hope to get there on my next trip to the States , thanks for all the good advice where to go
    My invitation is open to you, too, Paul! If you make it, let me know. We'll have a brew or two.

- - Updated - -

Quote by Scout View Post
    I went to Gettysburg and many other battlefields from that war not too long ago.
    I can not express, how it was to go there after having read so much about it.

mauser9, if you go south of the Mason-Dixon Line, dont call it the Civil War!
    I learned that the hard way in Richmond years ago. I was talking to some local gents and ladies, who were heavily into the history of the war. I was going Civil War this and Civil War that.
    After one of the party I was talking to developed a tic after each mention of Civil War, I was finally told that:
    "We dont call it the Civil War! Its either 'The War Between The States' or 'The War For Northern Aggression!"
    It was said with a twinkle in the eye, but still ...LOL.

Little Round Top

The not so pleasent view from the Confederate side towards Little Round Top

------------------

Appomatox Court House (thats the name of the village BTW)

The Cairo

Got an Antietam picture mixed in there. I like it, great pics!

?

Here some of the battlefields & related locations, I visited on my 'War Between the States' trip.

All are worth a visit IMO.

Gettysburg
    Antietam
    Manassas
    Fredericksburg
    Chancellorsville
    Richmond
    Petersburg
    Savannah
    Shiloh
    Chattanooga
    Chickamauga
    Vicksburg
    Appomattox Court House

Though not a battlefield, the Museum of the Confederacy is heartily recommended and a must for the afficionado

Jefferson Davis residence

We also went to 'a few' other unrelated (to The War Between the States) places, but thats another story

Great photos guys. I have a few pics of Gettysburg from my trip
    that may or may not be as interesting - I'll post them later.

I did notice that some of the old original buildings in town had
    bullet holes in them. I also remember seeing Abe Lincoln in
    top hat walking down the street - which was quite eerie,
    as the guy was a dead ringer. Regretfully, I did not get
    to visit the farmhouse where Lincoln gave
    his address..........
    Regards,

Steve.

Hey Scout. Just read your post. i am from the north but a steadfast Southern fan. love that War of northern Aggression term. Used that on another forum and nearly started another war.LOL Always get a laugh of how many generals lincoln had to go through. Burnside gives me the best laugh. Another couple of generals like him and the South would have won for sure. Thanks to all for the great pics.

Yeah Walkwolf I saw Lincoln too. Came into a McDonalds on Baltimore Street when I was having breakfast. For a fairly cheap vacation I had the time of my life. That leather shop at the end of street has some great belt buckles. Southern of course.

?

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Hey Scout. Just read your post. i am from the north but a steadfast Southern fan. love that War of northern Aggression term. Used that on another forum and nearly started another war.LOL Always get a laugh of how many generals lincoln had to go through. Burnside gives me the best laugh. Another couple of generals like him and the South would have won for sure. Thanks to all for the great pics.
    No problem.

Hope you didnt get into too much hot water on that other forum. Even after all these years, the War Between the States can still make some folks hot under the collar.

Yes, some of the generals of the North sat on their hands for a long time, but then 'Little Phil,' Sherman and Grant got into high gear.

As if that wasnt enough, the South lost one of the greatest generals of the War - if not the greatest - Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson in '63.

That was a hard blow for R. E. Lee and the South.

"Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees..."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast