Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gettysburg Pa.

Article about: Here are three pics I could find quickly. They are from the top of Little Round Top in the Union position, adjacent to the Signal Corps post. They are looking West towards the Confederate (S

Thumbs up Gettysburg Pa.

just thought I would mention to any Civil War buffs that a visit to the town and battlefield is truly awe inspiring. Have been 3 times and have had a fantastic time. plenty of battle field tours by guide or rent a CD and drive yourself. Also the gift shops carry a wide variety of items including replica black powder guns swords, clothing and museum attractions. last time I went the Visitor Center was free admission. Is very close to Antietam Battlefield in Maryland. Well worth the trip if interested.

Default Re: Gettysburg Pa.

Did you just go or are you going soon?

Indeed, I visited in 1998 and spent a few hours walking through the town
    and battlefield, seeing all the different States memorial statues to their
    soldiers. Hard to imagine 50,000 casualties in and around the area
    in only three days.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Indeed, I visited in 1998 and spent a few hours walking through the town
    and battlefield, seeing all the different States memorial statues to their
    soldiers. Hard to imagine 50,000 casualties in and around the area
    in only three days.........
    And only ten miles from my house!! I'm up there at least once a week. I love it up there. If you ever get the chance, go in the winter time. On a cold clear day go on top of Little Round Top. The view is tremendous and it's a very sobering experience to think about what transpired there and the enormous loss of life in less than 72 hours. And the number of tourists in the winter is next to zero. I have actually had the entire mountain to myself for thirty minutes without seeing another person. It's a great experience and a wonderful little town. Some fun local watering holes, too!

Was hoping to go back July 1,2,3, 2013 for the 150th anniversary
    but I'm not sure if I can make it happen. If I can, I will definitely
    check out some watering holes as I could only stay
    a few hours last time.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Anybody have any photos??, would be interesting to see the place...Cheers Terry.

Quote by Tango View Post
    Anybody have any photos??, would be interesting to see the place...Cheers Terry.
    i do! i'll post some tonight.

- - Updated - -

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Was hoping to go back July 1,2,3, 2013 for the 150th anniversary
    but I'm not sure if I can make it happen. If I can, I will definitely
    check out some watering holes as I could only stay
    a few hours last time.........
    Steve, if you do make it down next year, please let me know. I'll be happy to take you around and show you some other very cool historical places around the area. You'll have the inside connections!

Been there 3 times helmetone. plan on returning next year sometime. Visited a "watering hole" in Antietam maryland. The Antietam battlefield is indeed impressive and I liked the Glass Hospitality house where you can see a film and a guide will walk you through the battlefield. Both Gettysburg and Antietam are worth the trip. Park your car at a hotel on Baltimore Street in Gettysburg and everything is within walking distance. The Horse Soldier if still there carries real muskets,and dug up ammo. Picked up a Spencer 56 cal. bullet one time. Also stopped at a Cabelas on way home in Pa. that will blow your mind if into fishing hunting and guns. Thanks for your interest .

The Gettysburg Antique Center is a buffet of militaria. I check it out about once a week for new items. Antietam is a great battlefield. Every year they do a luminary vigil event where they light a candle in a white bag for every casualty, both north and south. The sea of candles is breath taking. I think it comes out to 56,000 candles, if I remember correctly. If you make it down next year let me know, we'll have a cold one somewhere, perhaps off the usual tourist locations.

Thanks for offer Pal. Was glad to run into quite a few Southern fans down there. That sounds like an awesome tribute. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast