Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Good war film: Burma theater: The Railway Man.

Article about: Hi, Just saw a very good war film last night. Colin Firth as "The Railway Man" the true story of an ex British POW that suffered terribly at the hands of the Japanese while at forc

Thumbs up Good war film: Burma theater: The Railway Man.

Hi, Just saw a very good war film last night. Colin Firth as "The Railway Man" the true story of an ex British POW that suffered terribly at the hands of the Japanese while at forced labor building the Burma railway ( Another less factual film on this situation was "The Bridge On The River Kwai"

The Railway Man (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The film deals realistically with the horrendous conditions faced by the few lucky enough to survive and the lasting effects suffered by these men many decades after the fact. I found it to be a very good film with recreations very close to what I had been told existed by a friend's father that had actually survived being a POW on the same project... though just barely. I have talked with many WW2 POWs and this gentleman could still hardly bear the weight of his horrible memories. He did however tell me he clearly remembered seeing the commandant of his camp tie himself to a tree and commit suicide bu slitting his own throat, the method of suicide traditionally used only by Japanese women, to denote his great shame at capitulation.

Prisoners of the Japanese in this theater suffered some of the highest mortality rates of any POWs during the war.

I highly recommend this film.

I've seen it and thought it was a pretty good film but it got slated by film critics!...

Not seen it yet, on my to watch list.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Lez and i watched it and enjoyed it.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

what are fim critics!

I liked it , seen it a few months ago , powerful acting

?

It was a good Movie very moving .

Greg