Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

google earth

Article about: by Soldierblu One of the other things to be taken into consideration in East Anglia is human habitation and intervention, over the last couple of thousand years, hunter gatherers, tribal riv

Default Re: google earth

Quote by Soldierblu View Post
    One of the other things to be taken into consideration in East Anglia is human habitation and intervention, over the last couple of thousand years, hunter gatherers, tribal rivalries not to mention the Roman Occupation have left their mark in the soil, I remember a friend of mine used to fly over areas of East Anglia during the 90's before the advent of Google Earth to detect Roman Archaeology, he found 2 previously unknown Roman Villas (one being near Duxford) this way, there was so much pre Roman and Roman development in East Anglia that when the Airfields were being built they were in the same area as strategically advantageous Archaeological sites. there are also some sink holes which from the air look to all intense and purposes a bomb crater and sometimes even in a row. Anyway I thought that this would be of interest from another point of view.
    You are quite correct there Soldierblu!

Also the Angles and Saxons had similar habitation there

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Cap Blanc Nez, Northern France.

Google Earth and a scan of a photo I took a few years ago.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture bombs.JPG   27.jpg  

Combat damage from 60 years ago is difficult to spot, largely because the locals clean/fix it up, so that they can continue their lives.

Google earth is a good resource, but it is not updated often enough, and the definition really isn't that great. Use it to go look at areas of active combat today, like Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, etc, etc, and you will see how quickly the locals make the damage disappear.

Boridin

pmccombs
    ?

Very interesting.
    Thanks for posting pics everyone.
    Paul

?

I have looked on google earth east of Berlin, seelow heights etc and you can see traces in the fields, of trenches, bomb craters etc......I just tracked east and looked hard and noticed a fair bit!

search peenemunde.........loads of craters there

Cap Gris-Nez in France

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12