Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Graves of Putschists today?

Article about: This is a rather ghoulish request, but has anyone specific information as to where any of the sixteen so -called 'martyrs' of the putsch attempt currently reside? I understand Tony Le Tissie

?

Default Graves of Putschists today?

This is a rather ghoulish request, but has anyone specific information as to where any of the sixteen so -called 'martyrs' of the putsch attempt currently reside? I understand Tony Le Tissier in his book "The Third Reich Then and Now" has photos, but I only have his volume on Berlin. I find it fascinating that the ehrentempels' foundations remain in the centre of Munich and would be interested to investigate this issue further.
    Cheers, guys.

Default Re: Graves of Putschists today?

Hi Keir, the Americans tried to find family members of those buried at the Ehrentempel. They were given the option of taking the bodies and burying them in an unmarked grave or cremation. Any bodies not claimed were cremated. Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records would be a great place to start. Get a list of the names and check on that site. They have photos of many graves, even unmarked. They have Horst Wessel's grave listed, even though his name is no longer on the grave stone. I don't think it's ghoulish, just part of the history. Well, as long as you're not going to sit next to the graves on full moon night with a ring of candles.

Take care,
    Jay

?

Cheers, Jay! I know there's a lot of reticence in revealing these sites as no-one wants them to become shrines. I'd forgotten that most would have been cremated, especially as domestic postal services had been discontinued by the allies. If I find anything I'll add it to this thread.
    Keir

Wikipedia and other sites list that Andreas Bauriedl, whose blood was said to have stained the "Blood Flag", was re-buried on the Munich Nordfriedhof (Northern Cemetery), grave no. 121-2-26. I do not know if the grave still exists.

I cannot find anything on the graves (or cremation) of the other Putschists.

You certainly have their names anyway, but for general interest, allow me to add a list of the killed Putschists nonetheless:

- Felix Alfarth
    - Andreas Bauriedl
    - Theodor Casella
    - William Ehrlich
    - Martin Faust
    - Anton Hechenberger
    - Oskar Körner
    - Karl Kuhn
    - Karl Laforce
    - Kurt Neubauer
    - Klaus von Pape
    - Theodor von der Pfordten
    - Johann Rickmers
    - Max Erwin von Scheubner-Richter
    - Lorenz Ritter von Stransky-Griffenfeld
    - Wilhelm Wolf

See here for a period illustration: http://i35.tinypic.com/t9yx76.jpg

(Furthermore, the Bavarian State Police officers Friedrich Fink, Nikolaus Hollweg, Rudolf Schraut
    and Max Schobert were killed during the firefight. See here for an image of the new commerorative plaque unveiled on 9 November 2010:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...edenktafel.jpg )

It would be interesting to see if any of the sixteen have known grave sites Keir. Find a Grave does an excellent job of finding and documenting the graves in a respectfull, non-political manner. They list burial sites of almost every famous person known worldwide, including military personalities from every nation. I liked the period illustration you put a link to H.P. I honestly had never seen anything like it, posting their pictures and names. I also like seeing the commemorative plaque to the police officers. Those cops were just out doing their job when they got caught up in the crazy, revolutionary events.

Take care,
    Jay

A few of the graves exist but with payments expiring on many of the graves the bodies were either moved or another was buried on top and their head stones were removed. This also happened to Jakob Grimminger who died in. 1969.

Quote by Erich S View Post
    A few of the graves exist but with payments expiring on many of the graves the bodies were either moved or another was buried on top and their head stones were removed. This also happened to Jakob Grimminger who died in. 1969.
    Common practice. At least in this part of the world.
    If the graves are not tended after they "expire" the plot is re-used for other non-related burials. Think it is at least 20 years for coffin burials.

And I think they have had more than good reason to wipe the remains of the Putschists of the map. For good. Hopefully they will all disappear with time.

?

Default Nazi graves in Munich

Since my initial post those years ago, I have set up a page for various graves of notable individuals from the nazi era in Munich; thus far only Braudliel amongst the putschsts
    Traces of Evil: Nazi Graves in Munich
    Graves of Putschists today?Graves of Putschists today?Graves of Putschists today?

?

Well presented, thank you.

Thread moved to the After The Battle forum.

Carl

Quite remarkable...Great Work and thanks for showing!
    cheers, Glenn