Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

It Happened Here - Liverpool 1940

Article about: October 8 1940. A JU88, attacked industrial targets connected to aircraft production in the Liverpool area. Taking off from Caen, France, the JU88 made it's way to Liverpool, arriving about

Default It Happened Here - Liverpool 1940

October 8 1940. A JU88, attacked industrial targets connected to aircraft production in the Liverpool area.

Taking off from Caen, France, the JU88 made it's way to Liverpool, arriving about 4:00pm.

Making it's way over Speke Airport, it flew over Rootes Security Factory, which made Blenheim Bombers.

3 Hurricanes from 312 Sqdn (Czech), based at Speke, were scrambled and intercepted the German Bomber.

Taking off, the Hurricanes attacked the Bomber, causing serious damage, forcing the plane to crash Land at Bromborough, Wirral.

This is now known as the "Fastest Kill".

Flying from it's base in France, this was the route it took.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture It Happened Here - Liverpool 1940   It Happened Here - Liverpool 1940  

Observer Leutnant Herbert Schlegel, who sat next to the Pilot, was killed, because he didin't have a armoured plate behind his head.

The Pilot Oberleutnant Helmut Bruckmann did, and he survived. Picture 1.

The Luftwaffe gunners did score hits on the attacking planes. Picture 3.

RAF Pilots inspect the cramped Cockpit. Picture 2.

Picture 4 also shows the seat for the Radio Operator Helmuth Weth, who was facing backwards.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture It Happened Here - Liverpool 1940   It Happened Here - Liverpool 1940  

It Happened Here - Liverpool 1940   It Happened Here - Liverpool 1940  

Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 06-10-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Default The Crash Site Today

Sonderfuhrer Horst Lehmann, the aircrafts gunner in the Gondola position, scored hits on all 3 attacking Hurricanes.

He broke every bone in his body when the plane crash landed, also, he received major stomach injuries.

He was in hospital for many, many months.

In the 1960's, the land was reclaimed and was raised by about 5Ft.

Inaccessible now due to a industrial estate, the crash site has barely changed.

There is nothing now to remind us of the tragic events of yesteryear.

Leutnant Herbert Schlegel was originally buried at Hooten Churchyard.

Later in 1962, his body was moved to the German War Cemetery Cannock, Staffs. Grave 117, Block 3.

Parts of the aircraft are on show at Fort Perch Rock, New Brighton, Wirral.

Just another moment forgotten in time.

Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 09-20-2021 at 05:54 PM.

Fifty one years later, the Pilot Helmut Bruckmann was traced, by Doug Darroch at his home in Munich.

Following arrangements made by BBC Radio Merseyside presenter Monty Lister and Doug Darroch, a meeting was made.

Bruckmann finally returned to the scene of his crash in 1940.

It was Friday November 1991.

Taking off in the Duke of Westminsters Helicopter (G-Baks), he landed on the crash site that happened 51 years earlier.

The Mayor and Lady Mayoress of Wirral, along with John Petric, now the owner of the land, were there to greet him.

This was followed by a Reception at Bromborough Civic Hall at which Bruckmann was presented with a Painting of the dramatic events.

Plus he also received a mounted piece of the JU88, from Doug Darrochs collection at Perch Rock.

BBC Television did a broadcast of the event on their "Look North" Programme.

Monty Lister did a interview with Bruckmann for Radio Merseyside.

Later he visited the grave of Herbert Schlegel at the Military Cemetery at Cannock Chase.

He then visited the Lake District, where he was held as a prisoner of war, before being sent to Canada for the rest of the conflict.

Picture 2, Bruckmann in 1991.

Two identity plates from the actual plane 1 & 3.

This is the exact spot where the plane crashed all those years ago..

I actually went last year (2015), to take pictures myself, but couldn't get close enough.

The oil tanks at the back are now the only way of finding the exact spot.

The JU 88 crash landed and slewed slightly to left.

Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 06-10-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Some pieces of the aircraft at "Fort Perch Rock" New Brighton, Wirral.

Included is part of the nose art. It's the bottom left of the art work.

Welcome to Fort Perch Rock Defending Merseyside

RAF Pilots with the Swastika tail fin, back at Speke Airport..

This is MY replica panel.

Fine records of history from both of you gents. A very interesting read incorporating the war records of determined men to their cause, right or wrong. Leon.

I always wanted to go to the actual site, but could never find it, only after some research, that I finally found the spot.

It was some thing I heard about in the play ground, when I was a boy.. I was hooked.

Climbing over fences and cutting through brambles and nettles I still couldn't get to the spot..

I was a only "stones throw away" from it but sadly..

So, after so many years, I finally went near to a place I thought never existed other than folk law.

The crash site of a Junkers 88 A-1

Many thanks to Doug Darroch at "Fort Perch Rock" with his help.

?

312 Squadron was Czech, the JU-88 brought down over Merseyside was their first victory. Nicely presented, thank you.

Carl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast