Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Humboldthain Flak Tower

Article about: These were taken in a December 2005 visit to Berlin, please excuse the poor picture quality as i'd forgotten my DSLR. As you probably know Humboldthain is the only remaining flak tower in Be

Default Re: Humboldthain Flak Tower

They're in fantastic condition!

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    They're in fantastic condition!
    They are surely more intact than the Berlin ones, the leading ones of which were either destroyed or are covered up in part.
    These Viennese towers hold a special place in my heart, as they were among the most startling things I recall about this great city when I first lived there in 1973.
    I have only been in the Haus des Meeres one off the Mariahilferstrasse.
    It is a very popular place for young families with children as an aquarium, and it has a good cafe, too, in which I have spent a pleasant time looking out of the Wien VI to the Naschmarkt surrounded by young families from Vienna, Czechia, Slovensko, and Hungary, who all go there in the most un military way.

Humboldthain Flak Tower
    I've just found this photo, it shows the early construction of the artificial hill which partly covers the tower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtJRnHtLexA
    This is worth watching, it's mostly in German but very interesting!..

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Brings back memories for me, as I was there is 2005 too.

Sadly Berlin is ruined by graffti, it is rife. I hate it.

Cheers, Ade.
    I was there in 2006, shortly after the World Cup. I agree, so many historical things defaced by graffiti.

Here are my photos of the Humboldthain Flak Tower (the amount of bullet pock-marks and shell holes on the flak tower is astronomical!):
    Humboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak Tower

Great photos, thanks for posting!...

Great photos, thanks for posting!...
    No problem! Glad I could contribute!

I absolutely loved Berlin. The historical significance was palpable everywhere I went...

I love Berlin too, so much history in one city and so atmospheric. I've been there about 15 times and have barely scratched the surface, i count myself very lucky i can get a return flight for about £60, good ol' budget airlines!..

?

I love Berlin too, so much history in one city and so atmospheric. I've been there about 15 times and have barely scratched the surface, i count myself very lucky i can get a return flight for about £60, good ol' budget airlines!..
    I want go there!! All I ever seen of Berlin is pics and vids... Think I must book a sheap flight as well !

Quote by Voje85 View Post
    I want go there!! All I ever seen of Berlin is pics and vids... Think I must book a sheap flight as well !
    You must go as it's such an interesting city, also compared to Norway it's very cheap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast