Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Humboldthain Flak Tower

Article about: These were taken in a December 2005 visit to Berlin, please excuse the poor picture quality as i'd forgotten my DSLR. As you probably know Humboldthain is the only remaining flak tower in Be

Default Humboldthain Flak Tower

Humboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak TowerHumboldthain Flak Tower

These were taken in a December 2005 visit to Berlin, please excuse the poor picture quality as i'd forgotten my DSLR. As you probably know Humboldthain is the only remaining flak tower in Berlin, the Berlin zoo tower was demolished (with great difficulty) in the late 40s early 50s, as was the Friedrichshain tower which i think there parts of one wall still standing.
    The Humboldthain tower was part buried in rubble from all the bomb damaged buildings in the area, the hill you see is not natural. If you visit from March to October you can tour the interior of the tower with Berliner unterwelten http://berliner-unterwelten.de/ .It's closed during the winter because bats hibernate in it.
    I was amazed at the amount of artillery hits it had taken, i read the Russkies had their biggest guns firing virtually point blank and the shells just bounced off.

Default Re: Humboldthain Flak Tower

thanks for the pictures.

it's great when someone gets out there and brings back a view of something not all of us are going to get to see anytime soon.

there are some very imposing structures in Berlin from the period. i believe also that the Russians were shelling Tempelhof Zentral Flughafen and hardly able to put in a scratch.

Quote by tempelhof View Post
    thanks for the pictures.

it's great when someone gets out there and brings back a view of something not all of us are going to get to see anytime soon.

there are some very imposing structures in Berlin from the period. i believe also that the Russians were shelling Tempelhof Zentral Flughafen and hardly able to put in a scratch.
    Yep i've visited Flughafen Tempelhof, the Berlin tattoo convention was based there 2 years ago in one of the hangars, there was lots of evidence of shell and bullet damage. Walking around the old east Berlin there seems to be bullet holes on every street!...

?

Interesting photos, it must have been a living hell in Berlin/Germany the last part of the war.

Thanks for another interesting thread Gunny!!!
    I see those graffiti artists succeeded where the Russians couldn't ......... a pity!!!!
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by TrondK View Post
    Interesting photos, it must have been a living hell in Berlin/Germany the last part of the war.
    It really must have been a living nightmare, we usually stay in the Kreuzberg district and photos from the immediate post war era show barely a brick standing on another, even in the 60s/70s there were vast empty bomb sites.
    Bang in the centre of Kreuzberg there used to be a circular park called Belle Alliance platz (now a circular block of flats called Mehring platz), it was highly visible from the air so used as the main aiming point by the USAAF.

Brings back memories for me, as I was there is 2005 too.

Sadly Berlin is ruined by graffti, it is rife. I hate it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

For those who take joy in Flak Towers, Vienna has the most more or less intact.

Humboldthain Flak Tower
    Remember me telling you about the circular park called Belle Alliance Platz? look where the stick of bombs is heading!...

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    For those who take joy in Flak Towers, Vienna has the most more or less intact.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/after...n-vienna-2127/
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast