Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Iconic Images of the Vietnam war

Article about: After making a thread on images of ww2 I thought I would create one about the Vietnam war as there are many interesting pictures that depict the harsh realities of the conflict. I hope you e

?

Default Re: Iconic Images of the Vietnam war

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    These two images are the ones that have stuck in my mind for many years and are iconic because they show the brutality of war the first image is a Vietcong insurgent executed in the streets of Saigon if I remember correctly.
    The second is a Buddhist monk that lights him self on fire in protest .

Regards Mark K
    The " VC insurgent " being shot that seems haunt you was the leader of an execution squad that was assigned to murder the families of high ranking politicians and soldiers . He had murdered his best friends wife and children just hours before. He died way to easy.
    That fact wasn't convenient for the anti war press at the time.
    The folks that are queasy about the facts of war would$hit a brick if I told you how this mixed blood American Indian would have killed him.

?

A few more, I don't know much about these
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iconic Images of the Vietnam war   Iconic Images of the Vietnam war  

Iconic Images of the Vietnam war   Iconic Images of the Vietnam war  

Great thread Militaria Collector...truly Iconic as it is titled. The photos speak more than words can express. I know there are thousands of photos that would also bring to light many unaswered questions and thoughts...along with what is not being taught in schools anymore.
    Truth of the matter is barely Military history is being taught..due to sensitivity groups. I am looking forward to more postings of black and white photos. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

First: Huey medical evacuation

Second: Injured Vietnamese receive aid as they lie on the street after a bomb explosion outside the U.S. Embassy in Saigon, Vietnam, March 30, 1965

Third: Jan 1, 1966, women and children crouch in a muddy canal as they take cover from intense Viet Cong fire at Bao Trai, about 20 miles west of Saigon

Forth: Jan 9, 1964, a South Vietnamese soldier uses the end of a dagger to beat a farmer for allegedly supplying government troops with inaccurate information

Fifth: June 8, 1972, 9-year-old Kim Phuc, runs down Route 1 near Trang Bang, Vietnam after an aerial napalm attack
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iconic Images of the Vietnam war   Iconic Images of the Vietnam war  

Iconic Images of the Vietnam war  

?

Thanks for the kind words Larry, these images are very interesting indeed I am glad you like them. These pictures show the harsh realities of war and I am thankful that people documented this major event.

superb photographs adam
    Regards James

Most excellent indeed...........but anyone else needs to remember the sensitivity of the remaining vets and those who lived there during that time who are still alive today. There are still a ton of Vietnam vets still around which any extra wording may cause sharp responses. I will and the other Mods will be watching this thread as I feel this is a history that needs to be seen..just like the KL camps. The posting of photos and descriptions are perfect for content. Dont go over it into anything political. I hope it will not be necessary to close the thread but should be treated as the same respect as the KL camp threads.
    The black and white photos are stunning and say alot more than words can describe.
    There are some very knowledgeable gents who served there that are members here on the forum,,which I think would add greatly to the History of the war,,but again try not to lean into the political side of the war but on the photographs as it was happening. The chopper pics are awesome!! Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

a very valid point larry
    Regards James

Lets also include some of the great Music that was attributed to that time. On this this post I will list in alphabetical order anyones thoughts or memories of the music played during that time. I will start it off, by listing below a few bands. I will also check the "Like' option to let you know I seen it and I posted it. Let me know if i miss it

The Association
    The Animals
    The Byrds
    Bob Dylan
    Beach Boys
    Beatles
    Buffalo Springfield- "For what its worth"
    Santana
    Country Joe McDonald
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Deep Purple
    The Doors
    The Fifth Dimension-Age of Aquarius-..Let the Sunshine In
    Grass Roots
    The Green Beret song...SSGT Barry SADLER..
    Johnny Cash
    Jefferson Airplane
    Jimi Hendrix
    The Original Caste- One Tin Soldier
    Nancy Sinatra- These boots are made for walking"
    Rolling Stones
    Steppen Wolf
    Strawberry Alarmclock
    Last edited by Larry C; 05-29-2013 at 12:32 AM.

?

First: June 15, 1967, American infantrymen crowd into a mud-filled bomb crater and look up at tall jungle trees seeking out Viet Cong snipers firing at them during a battle in Phuoc Vinh

Second: June 18, 1965, an unidentified U.S. Army soldier wears a hand lettered War Is Hell slogan on his helmet

Third: March 19, 1964, a father holds the body of his child as South Vietnamese Army Rangers look down from their armored vehicle near the Cambodian border in Vietnam

Forth: March 1965, hovering U.S. Army helicopters pour machine gun fire into a tree line to cover the advance of South Vietnamese ground troops in an attack on a Viet Cong camp 18 miles north of Tay Ninh

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast