Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Iwo jima sand

Article about: These islands have volcanic sand on their beaches rather than the white sugar sand you see so often in tourist resorts. Volcanic sand is coarse and gritty and will sometimes even cut your sk

Default Re: Iwo jima sand

These islands have volcanic sand on their beaches rather than the white sugar sand you see so often in tourist resorts. Volcanic sand is coarse and gritty and will sometimes even cut your skin up walking on it. It's almost like small pebbles.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong... But isn't Iwo Jima a volcanic island and isn't the "sand" of the island more of an ash? I remember hearing stories of U.S. Marines trying to dig for cover, but the ash/sand wouldn't hold shape and would just collapse back into the spot of the intended foxhole.

This stuff just looks like regular sand to me...
    I've got a small jar of belly button lint that I was told was Goerings ....... but after reading this thread, I have my doubts - oh deary me, whats the world coming to .............

That sand looks similar to the sand that I have from Iwo, and doesn't look like any regular sand as some have stated. I live on an island and have surfed all over as well, so I have seen a lot of sand. My sand was given to me by an active duty service member who I know personally. He visited there while serving in the Pacific region and collected a boat load of sand to bring home. I've seen his pics of him collecting the sand.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iwo jima sand   Iwo jima sand  

Iwo jima sand  

Found this at a Vet estate sale years ago it has pink Rhodochrosite crystals in it not worth much but found commonly in the(Pacific)and also can be found in the USA, Rhodochrosite is also found in Romania and Germany (where it is known as “Raspberry Spar”), South Africa, Mexico,Argentina, and Russia also.
    Not the same as sand but I know it is real!

Eric

Iwo jima sandIwo jima sandIwo jima sandIwo jima sandIwo jima sandIwo jima sandIwo jima sand
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

COOL piece, Eric! I'm no sand/crystal expert like some here, but I dig it and it's history!

Sure looks like chunky volcanic sand.

This article explains the Gallipolli Sands that are sold to raise money for the Returned Services League of Australia (RSL)
    To some, just having a tangible link to where a loved one fell,is a comfort in its self.
    Gallipoli sand sale for a good cause: RSL - National - www.smh.com.au
    Mick

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3