Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Japanese Super sub found off hawaii

Article about: kinda neat i had always heard that the japanese subs weren't that great but these seem impressive Japan's WW II super-submarine found scuttled off Hawaii - World - CBC News

STreaker
    ?

Default I-400 Blue Lens

I have researched this submarine over the past decade. More and more there is info on the internet and YouTube. Dad was training with the Marines for the invasion of Japan when the A bomb was dropped. When the I-400s docked at Guam, Dad wanted to satisfy his boyish curiosity. The shore patrol was quite lax, so on he went. Dad was impressed by the size of the interior, and he said the toilets were tile lined squatting types. The Seiran aircraft's highest purpose was to bomb the Panama locks; Kamikaze style to ensure success. It was felt if the locks could be damaged, it would set the US war effort back by 6 months. I'll try my skill at posting the pictures. Yes the handsome sailor in the photo is my Dad, and still has charm 70 years later. BTW, he has always been culturally curious about Asia, and did spend many months there later in life. I mounted the light on a wooden display case with a lightbulb inside. I'll work on getting a close-up of the Japanese writing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IMG_1230.jpg   I400-1.jpg  

IMG_1231.jpg   IMG_1232.jpg  

IMG_1233.jpg   IMG_1235.jpg  

IMG_1236.jpg   I400 and Dad.jpg  

scan0002.jpg  

WOW ! Great stuff!

Thank you for showing all the materials.

The label of the Woden is from the I-400 Tamiya model, it a decal.

Thank you for your father's service.

Regards,
    Taka

MAP
    ?

Quote by STreaker View Post
    I have researched this submarine over the past decade. More and more there is info on the internet and YouTube. Dad was training with the Marines for the invasion of Japan when the A bomb was dropped. When the I-400s docked at Guam, Dad wanted to satisfy his boyish curiosity. The shore patrol was quite lax, so on he went. Dad was impressed by the size of the interior, and he said the toilets were tile lined squatting types. The Seiran aircraft's highest purpose was to bomb the Panama locks; Kamikaze style to ensure success. It was felt if the locks could be damaged, it would set the US war effort back by 6 months. I'll try my skill at posting the pictures. Yes the handsome sailor in the photo is my Dad, and still has charm 70 years later. BTW, he has always been culturally curious about Asia, and did spend many months there later in life. I mounted the light on a wooden display case with a lightbulb inside. I'll work on getting a close-up of the Japanese writing.
    STreaker......first a belated "welcome to the forum"!!!! Thanks for posting the pictures. Great to see and hear the history firsthand.

Tell your Dad he hasn't changed a bit! :-)

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12