Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

June 6th 1944

Article about: D Day, is upon us lets remember together.

Default June 6th 1944

D Day, is upon us lets remember together.

MAP
    ?

Yes. To the Greatest Generation!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Amen to that !

It has been said many times that the events and experience of this day were totally unique both before and since. No one with even the most basic appreciation of what was involved could ever doubt that.

A large proprtion of the men involved in the landing were rather young by todays standards, some were the youths that today might be seen in hoodies and loafing on street corners. Most were not volunteers (who knows how many would if they hadn't been conscripted) but only a tiny number even considered trying to get out of it. Attitudes were different then.

I have heard it said that by dint of their youth, lack of experience, understanding etc that they would not appreciate what they were facing until they were actually on the beach. The inferrence being that they did not know such fear and apprehension in the days, hours and minutes leading upto the actual event.

To my mind this is an insult to the memory of these men.

Their NCOs and officers had experienced the horror of The Battle of France and Op Dynamo, would they have kept the experience to themselves? They trained (some of them for many months) in rigorous and realistic conditions. They knew the physical demands and could not have escaped the emmotional realisation that this time they themselves would be actively targetted. Also, let's not forget the fear of the unknown, enough to test the mettle of any man I think!

A hero is someone who does something he most likely would rather not and in the certain knowledge of great potential for harm to himself. I think that probably covers most of these blokes from most junior soldier to senior officer.

We must never forget these men who, instead of playing cricket on the village green (or baseball in the park!) or enjoying a pint in the pub went for a brisk run on the beach!

To all the casualties and survivors alike, thanks lads!

Regards

Mark
    PS When I think of the allied troops charging the beaches I also spare a thought for the similar young men in the defences trying to stop them in the horrific realisation that they could not. Most of them were victims of circumstance whatever popular belief might suggest.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-06-2018 at 08:08 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

June 6th 1944

Omaha beach, 6 June 1944

We cannot thank them enough. Lets keep their memories alive.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

My thoughts today are of the sacrifices made by all those that took part in Operation Overlord on the 6th June 1944. Of the lives lost and for those lives that were forever changed by the experiences of the many months of struggle to gain the final Victory and liberation from Tyranny.

For my today they gave their tomorrow, for my freedom they gave their life. I will forever remember them with pride and a thankful heart.
    Wilko

A little something (printed in 1946) I picked up a little while ago that brings the complex plans and struggle for freedom a little closer to me,

June 6th 1944 June 6th 1944

June 6th 1944

For those whose day of days began before the 6th of June had dawned and for all those who followed them across Europe to liberate and free. We will remember them.
    June 6th 1944

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast