Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kolomna, Russia

Article about: Attached are some photos of Kolomna, Russia. Kolomna is located south east of Moscow and even though the Germans did not quite reach Kolomna, it still played an important part in the defense

?

Default Kolomna, Russia

Attached are some photos of Kolomna, Russia. Kolomna is located south east of Moscow and even though the Germans did not quite reach Kolomna, it still played an important part in the defense of Moscow.
    In 1941 the southern part of Army Group Center under the command of Gen. Guderian had almost encircled the important city of Tula. The fall of Tula would have been a severe blow to the Soviet defense of Moscow, leaving the southern approach to Moscow almost wide open.
    The Soviet Union began assembling troops for a counter-offensive late in 1941. The troops that counter-attacked Guderian and saved Tula were assembled in Kolomna.
    In one of the monasteries we visited there was an old cemetary. One of the grave markers was wooden and reminded me of a German military marker. It was missing a board or two and I couldn't see anything written on it. It would be strange for a German grave to be there since the Germans never reached Kolomna but I took a picture of it anyway. Maybe this type of marker is common in Russia but it was the only one I remember seeing.

Best Regards,
    Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kolomna, Russia   Kolomna, Russia  

Kolomna, Russia   Kolomna, Russia  

Default Re: Kolomna, Russia

Nice photo's Mike. It seems to have some pretty country side views!

?

Default Re: Kolomna, Russia

Great photo's. Thks for sharing...