Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"La Coupole" V2 base France

Article about: I was looking at the map the other day, looking for interesting ww2 things to see in France and came across La Coupole, near St Omer in the north of France. My question is; have any of you e

Default "La Coupole" V2 base France

I was looking at the map the other day, looking for interesting ww2 things to see in France and came across La Coupole, near St Omer in the north of France.
    My question is; have any of you ever been to this V2 base? Is it worth visiting the area and the museum? I have a brochure of the complex here and I read not one V2 rocket was ever fired from the complex because by the time they had finished it the enemies landed on the beaches in Normandy. Also it metioned the V2 is unique in its kind as the whole weapon costs more lives to produce it than it made victims.
    Anyone ever visited the V2 complex in Lumbres (Nord - Pas de Calais)?

?

It is true that more concentration camp inmates at KZ-Mittelbau-Dora actually died producing the V-2/A-4 weapon than it later killed. Regarding what remains at the former site, a simple google image search will reveal the extent of the structure that survives.

KL-Mittelbau-Dora

Thanks for the input Carl, but Im more interested in La Coupole just under St Omer in the north of France. At the moment Im staying just 5 miles form the complex (drove past it the other day), and although I have been detecting a little bit north around Ypres over the years, I had never heard of this place. It seems to be huge! Its 42 meters high, 71 meters wide and 5 meters thick concrete, weighing 55.000 tons! The British Tallboy bombs (5 ton each) couldn't crack the concrete panzer of the complex. Underneath lies a complex of tunnels and a launch platform for the V2 A4 rocke, but not one was ever launched as it was finished to late in the war.
    Maybe I'll pay it a visit this week, but I was wondering if any other of the members had ever heard of it, or been there.

?

Certainly looks a place worth a visit. Not sure if any of our members have addressed the site before but I do not recollect as such, be good to see it covered.

I will visit the site very soon as it is only 5 miles from where I am now. I've got the brochure of the site here, and have been looking at the (new and old) pictures. OT started the build in october 1943 with 1.300 French and Russian labourers day and night. It was never completly finished, and they stopped building in july 1944 after the allied landing in Normandy.
    I will take pictures when I visit the site.

I saw it 30 years ago, now it's for tourists.
    This one also
    Home - Le Blockhaus d'Eperlecques

another

La Forteresse de Mimoyecques
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Thanks Lebus! Yes I found Eperlecques on the map too, its just 20km from where I am. I was thinking of going detecting there, but after seeing the pictures of the site you posted I dont think it is a good idea.

Detect isnot a good idea because all these sites received thousand of bombs, so you can find bursts and bursts.
    Not so mant troop in these place.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

EPERLECQUES

thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast