Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ležáky, The Forgotten Massacre

Article about: A place sadly often forgotten. Following the discovery of a radio transmitter in the village of Ležáky, the Gestapo had their proof to instigate another massacre in reprisal for the assassin

?

Default Ležáky, The Forgotten Massacre

A place sadly often forgotten. Following the discovery of a radio transmitter in the village of Ležáky, the Gestapo had their proof to instigate another massacre in reprisal for the assassination of SS-Obergruppenfuhrer Reinhard Heydrich in Prague several weeks earlier. The Gestapo began to make arrests in Ležáky and three other villages, following information given to them by Karel Čurda, a parachutist turned informant. So, on the 24th June, two weeks after the village of Lidice was razed to the ground, 500 SS troops and police surrounded Ležáky.

The entire adult population consisting of 33 men and women were shot. Thirteen children were taken away, eleven of whom were later gassed at Kulmhof (Chelmno). Two sisters, selected for Aryanisation survived, and were later found and returned post war. Eighteen months after the destruction of the village, a group of forced labourers from a concentration camp were ordered to dismantle the ruins of Ležáky. The village, unlike Lidice, was never rebuilt and only a memorial exists today.

Images below show the ruins, and a postcard showing the memorial site shortly after the war.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ležáky, The Forgotten Massacre   Ležáky, The Forgotten Massacre  

Last edited by CARL; 06-23-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Default re: Ležáky, The Forgotten Massacre

One cant imagine the fear and dread the villagers of the area constantly had to live with.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Carl I only know Lidice....Thanks for this information

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    One cant imagine the fear and dread the villagers of the area constantly had to live with.

Nick

That's so true Nick, having so much pressure to get a result following Heydrich's death put on them, the Gestapo were even more pressing in their ways and methods. The folk of the Protektorat were indeed living under incredible stress, that nowadays, we can only begin to imagine. I recently read a fine book, based on the diaries of an old Jewish lady living in Prague during the occupation, and the tone of the book changes dramatically as one turns the pages. Almost overnight, it seems as if a big black cloud descended over the land.

?

A unknown but tragic history to me, thanks for the education Carl.

?

Glad to have brought it to your attention Doug, as I know that it will be appreciated. It is so sad, that the world knows almost nothing of this place.

Regards,

Carl

This was an infamous and world-wide terrible event, but I've never heard....how did the Czechoslovakian government in exile react when it heard the result of what their British trained team of assassins resulted in? Did they figure that the cost was worth it to be rid of Heydrich?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

That is an interesting question William. During my time in Prague, I have heard many comment with regards to the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich - and the arguments both for and against the mission. Some say it wasn't worth it, due to the nightmarish reprisals carried out in the aftermath, yet mostly, people support what happened. Having read about the man and his character, I feel that if Heydrich had been allowed to live and carry on in his role, then even worse events may well have occurred. The Czech government in exile knew the risks involved beforehand, they did not take the decision lightly but the debate, for some at least, will seemingly never end. Thanks for raising a good point and contributing to the thread William.

Regards,

Carl
    Last edited by CARL; 06-23-2017 at 06:45 PM.

?

The cost was terrible indeed. However, Heydrich was a ruthless man with a brilliant mind sharpened for his evil purpose. His death meant Kaltenbrunnertook his place, nowhere near the razor sharp focus for the Final Solution as Heydrich although just as evil a man. I have to agree, his death, while having tragic consequences for the Czech populace probably saved hundreds of thousands of lives, perhaps millions?

This is why photos can be good. It keeps things like this unforgotten from the rest of the world.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast