Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Local W W 2 Vets Honored

Article about: As is a custom in the small town I live near, the local Rotary Club had their annual Veteran's Day lunch for the survivng W W 2 veterans. As I live in a rural area, we do not have many of th

Default Local W W 2 Vets Honored

As is a custom in the small town I live near, the local Rotary Club had their annual Veteran's Day lunch for the survivng W W 2 veterans. As I live in a rural area, we do not have many of these fellows left. I was glad to see the same seven who came last year were present today. The event is held in the town's community center, which was built nine years ago and dedicated to the memory of the 1000+ young men and women who answered the call to serve their country. Throughout the building, named the W W 2 Memorial Building, are framed photos of these County residents who served. Under their photo there is also has a text of their service time, battles fought and decorations earned. The main hall is a Hall of Honor having the names of the fallen written in gold leaf around the top of the walls. Every year, I am asked to participate with a display of historical period militaria. Attached are some pictures of the vets and this year's displayhonoring them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Local W W 2 Vets Honored   Local W W 2 Vets Honored  

Local W W 2 Vets Honored   Local W W 2 Vets Honored  

BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Default Re: Local W W 2 Vets Honored

The vets included a B-17 pilot from the 8th Army Air Force, a torpedoman 1st Class stationed on the U S S Enterprise. He served in all of the major Pacific battles with the " Big E," a 3rd Armored tanker, the rest being combat infantry men who served in the European Theatre of Operations
    BOB

Hi Bob, the hall is a great idea. Your display looks great! Well done! I am sure that the Vets enjoyed seeing the items.

Nice to see that your local Vets are still going strong as we are losing many fast now..

Cheers, Ade.

Those vets would have some interesting storys to tell, great to see them still going !!, display looks fantastic some nice uniforms and headgear, thanks Bob !!

The gentleman in the center was a member of the 87th Infantry Division, that was attached to Patton's 3rd Army. They were a green unit to combat when they were pressed in to service at the end o December 1944, during the counter attack in the Ardennes. t the end of April 1945, he was wounded on the Austrian/ Czech border when the half track he was driving absorbed a direct hit from an 88. He and one other soldier survived but were wounded. Two other soldiers and six German P O W's were killed. He was awarded the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.
    The gentleman stationed on the Enterprise was aboard when it's sister carrier, Yorktown, was hit and eventually abandoned at the end of the Battle of Midway. He personally witnessed the events.
    BOB

Great contribution on your part for the Vet's and a great display. One can see why they want ya back!