Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The man who refused to Sieg Heil

Article about: Amazing how stories about the Third Reich still pop up everyday. This is one I saw this morning, fairly tragic story. Just the story about one man's life ruined, out of the millions. But at

Default The man who refused to Sieg Heil

Amazing how stories about the Third Reich still pop up everyday. This is one I saw this morning, fairly tragic story. Just the story about one man's life ruined, out of the millions. But at least he was a man, not a sheep like the millions of others who find it easier to go along...

German man who refused to give Hitler Nazi salute - Business Insider

a sad story indeed,in fact I had seen this picture before its is in a KM book at a launching.thought it was odd and he would be in trouble.

The "Nazi salute" was actually referred to as the Olympic salute, or as I was told at school, the Roman salute. In most cases Heer, Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine officers and men used the standard military (Wehrmacht) salute (as in saluting the cap badge) unless they were not wearing a cap or helmet. Then they may have used the Olympic salute; but often no salute was required as is the case in certainly the British army when hats are off. If you were a member of the SS or SD though I can imagine the "Nazi salute" was probably more popular....

After the 20th of July bomb plot I believe either Hitler or Himmler attempted to pass a law that instructed that ALL members of the armed forces used the straight arm salute, but that this was also often ignored and things carried on as before. I'm sure others here can give a far more eloquent and correct answer to this question!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

The salute in question is indeed known by several names. Some of the most popular of which - in no particular order, are as follows:

a) saluto romano (The Roman Salute) - see note below

b) Hitlergruß (The Hitler Salute, or literally Hitler Greeting)

c) Nazi Salute

d) Fascist Salute, or Fascist Greeting - in 1928, Rudolf Heß published a story claiming the Fascist Salute was being used by the Nazis as early as 1921 - notably, before the Nazis had heard of the Italian Fascists.

Statements regarding the origins of the "Nazi Salute" often quote the Roman Salute as the source from where the gesture was taken - despite no survivng Roman work of art or surviving text depicting or describing such a salute. The Roman Salute itself has its own interesting story as the 1784 work Oath of the Horatii, an oil painting by French artist Jacques-Louis David depicts. The work shows the Roman legend of the Roma/Alba-Longa dispute where three brothers from a family in Rome fight three brothers from Alba-Longa. Shown in the painting are the Roman brothers saluting the swords held aloft toward them by their father, as they offer to sacrifice their lives for good of Rome. However, the famous image (shown below in the attachment), was a moment created by the artist. The source quoted for the tale is the first book of Livy, which was elaborated later by Dionysius in his third book of Roman Antiquities.

Readers may also find the US Bellamy Salute, which was used to accompany the American Pledge of Allegiance, of interest.

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The man who refused to Sieg Heil  

Every person on this planet who enjoys the right of free speech and freedom of religion should be forced to read this man's story. Only with the knowledge of what can happen in totalitarian societies can have an appreciation of what we take as the daily norm. Unfortunately, there are many areas on earth where people still live under repression.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Not everyone supported the party. I'm not surprised that he didn't heil.

Warm Regards,

Justin