Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France

Article about: Hi Guys, this is a small museum ran by two French friends of mine. Located in the small town of Le Muy. Liens I have been to it several times over the years and here are a few pics I have ta

Default Re: Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France

FFI items.

The badge seen at the bottom is one issued to former members of the Resistance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France   Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France  

German infantry bicycle.

There is a nice story to this one. In the museum is a photo of a pile of abandoned German bikes. A local man saw the photo and commented that he had one of the bikes which he took from that very pile. He returned with the bike which he presented to the Museum. As only one in the photo had the "ammo box" container in the frame, they are pretty sure which one they have.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France  

British Para display. The items donated were given to the museum by the late General Sir Anthony Farrah Hockley. Not worn by him, but he was impressed with the museum and wanted to help. I met the General some years ago and he was a really nice guy and this act was typical of him.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France  

My friend Mike's Denison smock. They based the mannequin on a photo of Mike complete with Pipe!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France   Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France  

That completes my little tour. A small, but well ran museum by two guys that care.

Here are Eric and Michel. Taken at the 60th Anniversay back in 2004.

These two guys who run the Museum have done a great job. They have backing from the town Mayor, which in France goes a LONG way. They do a great job as well with the British and US Vets who fought there in August 1944. They provide all the help they can to returning Vets each year.

They actually hope to expand the museum. It is housed in a former stone built building which once contained a wine press

Cheers, Ade

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Exellent Ade where exactly is Le Muy ? I really love that grey painted M42 !!
    Hi Paul, Le Muy is in Provence. Here is the website with details about the town.

Le Muy - Provence Web - Var

We have always found the locals to be very friendly. We were invited to see several private collections or to see items still in possesion of local families since the Liberation. Everywhere we went, French "Coke" as they called it, the local Rose wine was always produced!

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks for showing Ade, it looks a fantastic museum , rgds Dave

Thanks Dave. While the museum is small, the quality of the exhibits is very good.

I should add that opening times are limited. The summer months are best. The local tourist office can open up if an appointment is made in advance.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks for the link Ade, Le Muy looks alovely spot , i spend quite a bit of time in the Langudoc but will try and get up there.

When i was in Airborne forces Farrar the Para was an absolute legend so having had his recommendation and support must be a great thing for the guys who run it
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

its in a lovely place, the south of france is just beautiful,i really would love to see that museum, but your virtual tour is great rgds Dave

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast