Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"

Article about: Dear all, Last weekend we visited the museum "Hürtgenwald 1944 und im Frieden" (Huertgenwald 1944 and in peace) in Vossenack, right on the day 73 years after the "Allerseelens

Default Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"

Dear all,

Last weekend we visited the museum "Hürtgenwald 1944 und im Frieden" (Huertgenwald 1944 and in peace) in Vossenack, right on the day 73 years after the "Allerseelenschlacht" as one part of the fierce battle(s) in the Huertgen forest. It's a very striking museum about the hardships of the GIs and German soldiers and of the civil population in and after the war. After the war there were many casualties by mines, often children, and among the men detecting the mines. A lot of relics are shown at the museum which were found after the battle. Vossenack itself was the location of very fierce combats.

With best wishes
    alter musketier

Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"

Fire fighters against the great fires after the war caused by phosphor shells. In the picture there is a rather modern fire engine in the beginning they hadt to use manual pumps.
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Looks a very interesting Museum, well worth a visit.

Any more pictures?

Manual pump

comtemporary kitchen
    Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"

Corresponding translation: By collecting non-ferrous metal as a source of income after the war even the driving bands were stroken from active shells under danger for life. Even children and youth made it.

Corresponding translation: A German helmet used for cleaning the non water toilets (pit latrins) and cesspools. As measure for the forage of the horses was an "helmet of oats" indifferent if a German or an US one.
    Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"

will be continued ...
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Some more pics. The dangerous job of mine detection after the war. And more relics found.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"   Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"  

Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"   Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"  

Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"   Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"  

Very impressive. I went on the Kall Trail in the Hurtgen region a few years back. At the bottom of the trail near the Kall Bridge was the mill which was converted into a restaurant. Had a wonderful meal there.. I did not have the chance to visit this museum, but it looks like a great place.. I may be going back to the region again so I may look for this museum

Smitty

Extract of the memory report by a German prisoner in British service: They found an emplacement with fallen German soldiers. The skeleton of a German soldier was still in aiming position behind his machine gun provided with the cartrigde belt. There were some empty bottles of wine too. Maybe the soldiers were drunken because of their hopeless situation?

Julius Erasmus the so called grave digger of Vossenack who found and burried about 1,500 fallen German soldiers, engaged by his own initiative and often in danger of life inside of mine fields.

Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"

... some more pics.

And show cases with more relics found.
    Above of US soldiers, below of Germans.

The last picture shows the rebuilt church of Vossenack where fierce hand-to-hand combats took place. The frontline was inside the church.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"   Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"  

Fantastic pictures !! I could look at the images of this place for hours. Very interesting & Thank You for showing them.

Oh good, there's more !!

At the present time there is a special exhibition about the recovery of crashed pilots and their mortal remains today. An US radio of emergency used by shot-down air crews is shown too. It is provided both a kite and a ballon if there is no wind to stretch the antenna I think. First time I saw such an equipment.

Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"Museum "Huertgenwald 1944 und im Frieden"

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Very impressive. I went on the Kall Trail in the Hurtgen region a few years back. At the bottom of the trail near the Kall Bridge was the mill which was converted into a restaurant. Had a wonderful meal there.. I did not have the chance to visit this museum, but it looks like a great place.. I may be going back to the region again so I may look for this museum

Smitty
    Dear Smitty,

Indeed, we were at the nice restaurant of the Mestrenger Muehle too. Today it's a very lovely place and it's hard to believe about his bloody history. But a plate remembers of a former owner killed by mines after the war.

And to go the Kall trail is my next wish.

With best wishes
    alter musketier

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast