Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Museum: Roman archaeological museum - Aldenburgensis

Article about: Roman archaeological museum Aldenburgensis Exclusively for WRF members, a photographic report of my visit to the Roman archaeological museum in Aldenburgensis (Oudenburg). Their website: Sta

Exclamation Museum: Roman archaeological museum - Aldenburgensis

Roman archaeological museum

Aldenburgensis

Exclusively for WRF members, a photographic report of my visit to the Roman archaeological museum in Aldenburgensis (Oudenburg).

Their website:

Stad Oudenburg - Romeins Archeologisch Museum

The Romans have always fascinated me. They were the first militaristic superpower to emerge. They controlled the then known world. Roman soldiers were yust like their German counterparts 1700 years later truly the iconic figures of their time. They also again like their German counterparts of WWII had the nicest uniforms and headgear of their time; Lorica segmentata. I have build up a small collection over the years of three Roman artifacts that I will show at the end of the presentation.

I visited the Roman archaeological museum in Oudenburg (Latin: Aldenburgensis) last week. They completely renewd the museum and I had high expectations. Sadly IMO they are trying to be 'cool', 'modern', 'high tech' and 'interactive'. This results in a lot of modern maps & prints, computers and plasma screens, all at the expense of the items displayed. The entry fee of 5 Euro p.p. is also to high IMO, we really looked at every item and still were out of the museum in less then 45 min.

Oudenburg:

Oudenburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lorica segmentata:

Lorica segmentata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roman empire:

Roman Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yours truly

Nick VR
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Museum: Roman archaeological museum - Aldenburgensis  
    Last edited by Nick VR; 07-21-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Default Re: Museum: Roman archaeological museum - Aldenburgensis

The museum itself:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Museum: Roman archaeological museum - Aldenburgensis  

The entrance:

Two large maps are found at the entrance, the first depicting the Roman Empire itself, the second is a historical map of the area where the castellum of Aldenburgensis was located:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Museum: Roman archaeological museum - Aldenburgensis   Museum: Roman archaeological museum - Aldenburgensis  

Roman coins:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Museum: Roman archaeological museum - Aldenburgensis   Museum: Roman archaeological museum - Aldenburgensis  

Here you can see an aerial map of the city of Oudenburg, you can see clearly where the castellum walls once were...

IMO the most impressive piece of the entire museum, a Roman lance:

Remains of a Roman shoe:

A Roman legionaire and a auxiliary unit:

Pottery:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast