Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

My Father & Grandfathers U.S. Issue Grave Markers

Article about: Hi, I saw Ade's post of a soldiers graveyard in Britain, and thought I would show these pics. My Father Daniel, and Grandfather Carl's "U.S. issue" headstones. You get a choice of

Default My Father & Grandfathers U.S. Issue Grave Markers

Hi, I saw Ade's post of a soldiers graveyard in Britain, and thought I would show these pics. My Father Daniel, and Grandfather Carl's "U.S. issue" headstones.

You get a choice of granite or marble. I chose the marble for my father, and he choose the granite for his father. They seem to hold up well, but my fathers marble stone has a few years left to catch up to his dad's granite marker.

They are buried At Hillside Memorial Park in Los Angeles. My Father is buried on the hill aprrox 30 yards to the left from Al Jolson, who has the large memorial shown in the front of the cemetery. The large mausoleum seen in background of the Jolson memorial, has Jack Benny, and his wife resting comfortably inside, along with other famous people.

Jack Benny was one my favorite comedians, and also my father and grandpa's too. They both have good company where they are.

My father was extremely happy with the last piece of real estate he was going to own. I took care of him for 1 1/2 years till he passed in 2001 from cancer. I found the lot for him from a real estate agent for about half of the going price for one, if they could even be found. There were Zero for sale from the cemetery itself, on or near the old hill with Jolson and Benny, or anywhere in fact. My Father was even happier about the price!!

I have a old film photo of another grave marker, My Mothers older brother, KIA 1943, and buried at Golden Gate National Cemetery, San Francisco, California. He was 2nd Lt. AAF. I will try to find it, and scan it to post also. It is a beautiful cemetery.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Father & Grandfathers U.S. Issue Grave Markers   My Father & Grandfathers U.S. Issue Grave Markers  

My Father & Grandfathers U.S. Issue Grave Markers   My Father & Grandfathers U.S. Issue Grave Markers  

My Father & Grandfathers U.S. Issue Grave Markers   My Father & Grandfathers U.S. Issue Grave Markers  

My Father & Grandfathers U.S. Issue Grave Markers  

?

Default Re: My Father & Grandfathers U.S. Issue Grave Markers

really nice story mate thanks for sharing & also the great pictures as well your father is in good company

Quote by NickD View Post
    really nice story mate thanks for sharing & also the great pictures as well your father is in good company
    Hi Nick, Thank you. did not know if this was the correct section to post in. Was thinking about my pop today when I saw Ade's post so...... Maybe members could show their families also.

Regards, Steve

?

thats a good idea mate it'll help put in to perspective the area we have chosen to collect & research in

Hi Steve, nice post.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Steve, nice post.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade. Your post reminded me of these pics, and also funny, they have been showing the Jack Benny show on this new digital TV they have here in US now. Great old TV show, still funny 50 years later. Did they show Jack Benny in Britain, do they know who he is? I would think the older Brits would.
    HaHa, their are always pennys and dimes around his crypt. The visitors them leave there becuase of his routine about being cheap. There are many vets at this cemetery. Godspeed to them all.

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve, my generation will certainly know him, but I suspect most youngsters sadly will not.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Steve, my generation will certainly know him, but I suspect most youngsters sadly will not.

Cheers, Ade.
    Yes, very sadly, same here.

?

A proud American family history.