Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My local pillbox

Article about: i Thought you guys might like to see this . I was inspired by two books in my collection to make this thread and after I saw a similar thread about bunkers in Scotland. That and the weather

?

Default My local pillbox

i Thought you guys might like to see this . I was inspired by two books in my collection to make this thread and after I saw a similar thread about bunkers in Scotland. That and the weather was perfect today

Down the road to me there is a bunker. Quite a small one probably at best for a light MG and a few riflemen. This bunker is where I would used to play with my friends when I was younger. Nick named the 50p hut due to its shape on the top.

This purpose of this bunker wasn’t to defend my village but was to protect the railway station that’s part of the old Formartine and Buchan Railway line. It overlooks the road coming from Peterhead from the coast where the Germans would most likely come . It’s now unfortunately been concreted up but there is talk from the local railway museum to remove the concrete and make it like a mini museum.
    My local pillboxMy local pillboxMy local pillboxMy local pillboxMy local pillboxMy local pillboxMy local pillboxMy local pillboxMy local pillbox

Hope you guys found this interesting. If any of you guys have any similar nearby bunkers , say!

CBH
    ?

I live on the opposite side of the Pond from you, on Sydney Harbour. We have many fortification dotting the harbour, and it's approaches. I'll include a few photos of some of the different installation, there is talk of turning one site (on this side of the harbour) into a museum and interpretive centre. Sydney Harbour played an important role in both world wars, as the departure point for the Slow Convoys to Europe. I played in some of these as a kid and hope they get preserved for future generations. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My local pillbox   My local pillbox  

?

They are quite impressive. The bottom picture bunker seems quite hard to get to then if the stairs have been worn away and the bunker its self looks like it may of housed artillery? The top bunker looks pretty intact, shame about the spray paint. Im guessing that will be the preserved one?

There are a few in my locality, one interesting guard a small road bridge, another across the road next to the local Co Op supermarket and a disused railway bridge across a river, both of the 50 pence type. There are others scattered across Wales, some on the West Wales Stop Line which includes dragons teeth and a no longer visible anti tank ditch across which I excavated a slot a few years back. I visited Orkney a few years back and the entrances to Scapa Flow are flanked by extensive bunkers, gun emplacements and trench systems as well as barracks, of these I have lots of pics, that look very similar to those shown above from Australia. Nearer to where I lived in Cardiff is a coastal battery, with gun pits, bunkers, armouries, trenches etc shown below at Laverknock Point. There is a thread on this site somewhere on here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My local pillbox   My local pillbox  

My local pillbox   My local pillbox  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Nice! The only other local defences i have are at the coast , which are just one or two bunkers and just mainly square anti tank blocks. Not surprising the south of the uk got the most defensive measures put in place. I really like the turn table for the AA gun from the picture

A few pics from Hoxa Head Battery Scapa Flow

My local pillbox   My local pillbox  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

My local pillbox
    I might find there in the book i have

?

AH stupid me I just realised I should of put the title as pillbox

?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    AH stupid me I just realised I should of put the title as pillbox