Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My local war memorial

Article about: This is the War memorial in the village where I grew up in Ruddington, Nottinghamshire. It commemorates soldiers for both WW1 & WW2. Our family was lucky and we only lost one distant rel

Default My local war memorial

This is the War memorial in the village where I grew up in Ruddington, Nottinghamshire. It commemorates soldiers for both WW1 & WW2.

Our family was lucky and we only lost one distant relative in WW1. In WW2 we lost two family members. One was my Uncles brother, John Howard. Lost at sea in 1944.

My Great Uncle was killed in 1944 while serving as an Sgt Air Gunner on a "Sunderland" Flying boat. His name, Sidney Thompson, is recorded on here. He has no known grave, being lost at sea. I have done at lot of research on Sid and I have his medals which I claimed with my Dad's help from the RAF only a few years ago.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My local war memorial   My local war memorial  

My local war memorial  

Default Re: My local war memorial

Hi Phil, that is very kind of you.

I had a real battle with the RAF to get his medals. I have even made contact with the daughter of the pilot who was killed with him and the rest of the crew.

If people are interested I will post up the whole story sometime.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Very interesting Ade ! That is what I would like to read here. Please post the rest of the story, it will be a pleasure to read it.
    Matt