Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My trip to Gallipoli and the Dardanelles

Article about: Thanks Luke No I didnt mate, I wasnt there long enough sadly I saw an amazing 3D film in a cinema with movement and smells of the sea battles from the view of a British battleship, it was ju

Default My trip to Gallipoli and the Dardanelles

During my family holiday to Turkey I managed to drive the 8 hours north to pay my respects to the fallen of Gallipoli.

A very sombre but fascinating place with some amazing museums detailing the landings and the trench war but what I found incredible was the sea battle in the Dardanelles where battleships from all nations involved were sunk.

Here are some pics:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My trip to Gallipoli and the Dardanelles   My trip to Gallipoli and the Dardanelles  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Default Re: My trip to Gallipoli and the Dardanelles

The Turkish cemetery
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My trip to Gallipoli and the Dardanelles   My trip to Gallipoli and the Dardanelles  

My trip to Gallipoli and the Dardanelles   My trip to Gallipoli and the Dardanelles  

My trip to Gallipoli and the Dardanelles   My trip to Gallipoli and the Dardanelles  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

The image on the hill is amazing thanks for the pics Nick.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Welcome back, Nick. I was starting to worry about you. Looks like you had a great time. Nice photos!

Luke

Some of the British and Commomwealth cemeteries. I took some of pics of the graves of a couple of teenage boys who died a long way from home.

Some of the beaches where the allies landed.

Anzac cove I got to walk on but only manged to get some passing shots of Suvla beach.

Some other shots of various sights

Nick

Most excellent pic's Nick.Cheers mate.
    A young Australian lad named James Martin died on the hospital ship "Glenart Castle" off Gallipoli .
    He was a large boy and had lied on enlistment. He gave his age as 18 but he was only 14 years of age at the time of his death due to illness.
    All the best
    Dave

Here is a sunset set shot of the ferry which takes you from the town of Canakkale acrooss the dardanelles to the Gallipoli penninsula.

Also the ancient city of Troy was only 20 KM away which was amazing.

The film Troy with Brad Pitt was filmed in the area and afterwards they gave the people of Cannakale the horse they used in the film and it stands proud in the square

I will post more pics from my wifes camera soon, I hope you enjoyed them

Nick

More great pictures! Nick, did you see anything commemorating the SMS Göben(Yavuz?)

Luke

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast