Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Normandie 2008

Article about: Thanksfor the pictures, they are perfect!

?

Default Re: Normandie 2008

I'm there for the D Day commemorations this year anyone else going ??
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Great pictures. I always like seeing pictures of the Atlantic Wall and what my fellow Americans as well as those brave British and Canadians managed to plow over on 6 June 1944.

If anyone here ever visits Normandy and would be willing to take some close up pictures of my great uncles grave marker, I would appreciate it very much.

Quote by Joel109 View Post
    If anyone here ever visits Normandy and would be willing to take some close up pictures of my great uncles grave marker, I would appreciate it very much.
    Hi Joel, a friend of mine is off to Europe & Normandy next month for 6 weeks, he will be doing some battlefield tours in Normandy if you send me a pm of your great uncles info i will see what i can do.

Also great pics Hudsonwhistle !!, reminds me of my 2007 trip to Normandy..

I need to go back !!!!
    Normandie 2008

Normandie 2008

Quote by Stalingrad View Post
    Hi Joel, a friend of mine is off to Europe & Normandy next month for 6 weeks, he will be doing some battlefield tours in Normandy if you send me a pm of your great uncles info i will see what i can do.

Also great pics Hudsonwhistle !!, reminds me of my 2007 trip to Normandy..

I need to go back !!!!
    Normandie 2008

Normandie 2008
    1LT Jay V. Thomson is buried at the Normandy American cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer, France. His grave location is Plot B, Row 13, Grave 13.

Northumbria ACF is sending some army cadets from each coy to the 65th anniversary this year.

should be a great event, i myself am not going but i would love to arrange a visit with my own cadets at some point in the future.

Where the tanks pulled from the ocean (salt water) or have they just rusted over the years! Joe

Hi Joe, the tanks to which you refer to (seen in post number 3) are all recovered from the sea.

Cheers, Ade.

?

This is the wrecks Museum at Port en Bessin , most of the recovered vehicles were recoverd off Omaha where many of them went down because they tried to come ashore against the swell , the American crews not having been trained in any seamanship as the British Tank crews had by the Royal Navy.

Another tragedy of Omaha

Interestingly in the Priest self propelled gun when it was recovered were some docs and a bit of uniform in a sealed box , these were traced to the Gun commander who was still alive in the States having survived the sinkingof his gun !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Baxter View Post
    i was in normandie a couple of weeks ago, got some nice pics to, its very humbleing to go there, we visited the german cemetry at le cambe, over 21.000 graves, really made you think about what they went through, some of them were only a couple of years older than my son of 15
    He has his whole life ahead of him and they were taken at such a young age,
    I used to go there for vacation and everytime i had to stop at a Canadian war cemetery and the one you are talking about the German one where like you i was looking at the age of those kids . And i found this cemetary( the German one) for unknown reason so relaxing and so peaceful that i could pass hours just walking and looking at those names .

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast