Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Normandy beaches visit...

Article about: Hello people! I need your help in an urgent matter! I have planned a trip to Normandy for next week in order to visit the invasion sites. Problem is that our budget is very limited and we ca

Default Normandy beaches visit...

Hello people!

I need your help in an urgent matter! I have planned a trip to Normandy for next week in order to visit the invasion sites. Problem is that our budget is very limited and we can't afford to book tours around the places. So, I have created a map and saved all the locations of interest in order to visit them on our own.
    We will pretty much depend on the local transportation from Caen (where we will be staying for 5 days) in order to take us around the beaches.
    My question to you is: Is public transportation dependable? Or there are only 1-2 trips to the main sites and the rest on foot?
    I am afraid to go there, be near the places and not beiong able to visit them due to the lack of buses.
    My guess is that because if the importance of these places there must be a lot of buses going around but a quick search online provided me with various answers and I don't know what to believe.

Any recent experience from any of our group members?
    Thank you very much folks!!

Mike

Hi there mate,
    Been there 3 times, but drove !
    There is a coastal road from Ouistreham & I'm presuming there is a bus ? You'll be able to see Pegasus bridge & the British/Canadian beaches then Bayeux, then Omaha & the US Cemetery, then Pointe du Hoc then St. Mere Eglise, it goes on !
    Regards Paul

Thank you Paul!!
    Sadly my budget doesn't allow me to rent a car (or more accurately the policy of renting a card only with a credit card).
    I've seen all the routes and I've seen the road the goes parallel to the coastline! I hope there is a bus that runs the road. The sites I want to see are from Pegasus Bridge as far as St Mere Eglise.
    In the meanwhile I can't describe to anyone how happy I am to be able finally to visit Normandy! That's why I am afraid of getting there and being unable to visit as much as I can! It is like my dream!
    Another question I have: If I rent a bicycle on Caen? Would it be possible to travel around?

I've been there a number of times but never paid much attention to public transport. However, I would check if you can rent a bicycle or scooter as it would immensely improve your freedom of movement.

I assume you already booked & paid accommodation in Caen? It is some distance away from the coast, so look if you can go to the coast by bus and then rent something there.

Yes! I've booked accomodation in Caen! Motorbike is not an option since I don't have a bike license! I am very surprised by the lack of buses... There is no bus from Caen to Carentan ie! One would assume that this trip would be the most popular one... Did you guys book cars there? I found one from expedia.co.uk that seems good enough AND they accept debit cards...

?

I guide numerous Tours to Normandy every year , was just there last week and although local buses are seen around you must remember that the local bus service is not designed around Touring the beaches just the needs of the local popoulation . Hence it could be ( i hope not ) difficult to actually get to everywhere you want to , what i would suggest is once you arrive head for the Tourist information and see if they can help you with Bus routes !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks Paul D! I know by now that local buses help the local population but I was hoping that they cover some basic tours. From there I have no problem walking around to find more... For example, a bus that does the trip of the coastline would be extremely helpful! I just need a backbone transport to cover the main roadtrip and then I can walk... Anyway, I think the tourist info would provide me with some tips about routes!
    How do you organize and guide tours there? With private buses?

?

Quote by LizardKing View Post
    Thanks Paul D! I know by now that local buses help the local population but I was hoping that they cover some basic tours. From there I have no problem walking around to find more... For example, a bus that does the trip of the coastline would be extremely helpful! I just need a backbone transport to cover the main roadtrip and then I can walk... Anyway, I think the tourist info would provide me with some tips about routes!
    How do you organize and guide tours there? With private buses?
    Yes i work for a UK Battelfield Tour company that uses coaches . There are many local Guides in Normandy who wil ltake you around in their car or a mini bus but their prices are a complete rip off designed to fleece the Tourist in particular American Tourists . If you want to contact one of the more legitimate ones i can help you with that.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

D-Day group tours - Normandy Sightseeing Tours, local company to the D-day beaches, group tours or private tours
    I see many sites, but they go only on the GB beaches to pte du hoc, not to the beautiful museums like dead man corner....
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast