Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

our day out on merseyside

Article about: thanks sean it would be good for you to re-visit i remember the sub as you described too ,can i just say you liverpudlians have some great qualities everyone we spoke too was very friendly a

Default our day out on merseyside

we decided to head out today down the north wales coast then onto the wirral which is roughly an hours drive ,i did plan to meet terry (tango) at the woodside ferries terminal for the u-534 museum a few weeks earlier but it wasnt to be ,i dont want to dwell to much on the rights and wrongs of the display as it stirs up strong feelings so dont shoot the messenger the smell of diesel hung in the air around the sub sections and i was surprised to see a lot of scaffolding holding various sections of the hull structure such is the corrosion also on site was a replica of the Resurgam II one of the early victorian submarines of which the original was built in birkenhead, it of particular interest to me as the real sub wreak is located in liverpool bay just off the north wales coast where i live ,the contents of the sub was also on display and the relic stahlhelm caught my eye it was a late war model 42 also the clothing was of late war issue once we finished the u boat tour we boarded the ferry for a 10 minute ride to liverpool allthough my daughter wanted to hitch a quicker ride on the torpedo we then jumped on one of the frequent the city tour buses ,one of the stops was of interest because of the bombed out st luke's church left as it was after the liverpool blitz in 1941 the roofless church was badly burned out by an incendiary and now stands as a memorial for those lost during this time ,the last period picture shows of an old sea captain who bears an uncanny resemblance our day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseyside
    Regards James

?

Know those sites very well James, nicely presented, thanks.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Will now move to ATB forum

Looks like you had a good time mate!..

thank you carl your a gent
    Regards James

thanks paul ,yes mate we did have a great day out
    Regards James

nice report James,I have just[today]finished reading about the father of submarines,Rev Garret and the Resugam.hope 1 day they will get her up.

Looks interesting, nice photos too.

thanks harry and mads thats a coincidence harry ,for the time being they have attached sacrificial anodes to the vessel, fingers crossed they do raise her though
    Regards James

?

Cracking pics James, Looks like you got all the sights in! I said to Terry after his thread on U-534 visit I need to get back there. It's only a short drive from me. I went years ago before they dissected it. I fully understand the debate on leaving the sub as it was but also in fairness I think it has more of an attraction now on the whole as before it was propped up on a makeshift site next to the dockside back behind a fence rusting away, With the recovered artifacts in a tiny museum. It took about 10 mins to look around the lot and I suppose unless you are really into your history like us lot. It wasn't very impressive to the rest of the general public. Again, Great pics. Thanks for sharing! Cheers, Sean.

it really was fascinating to see the workings of the u boat and how hard the conditions were for the crew ,on further inspection i was surprised at the amount of timber sheeting and formers used and still visible within the hull sections it was very well preserved considering also the amount of cloth/rubberised electrical cabling present too in good condition,the superficial exterior is showing a fair amount of corrosion thoughour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseysideour day out on merseyside
    Regards James

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast