Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.

Article about: by Larry C Amazing stuff Ade!! ... How many enigma machines were there? Regards Larry Hi Larry, I only saw the one there if I remember correctly. Bletchley Park has several on display there.

Default Re: Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.

Just found this on Wikipedia "Another serious training mistake was revealed later; the Soviets used their own diesel-engine tanks to train the dogs rather than German tanks which had gasoline engines.[5] As the dogs relied on their acute sense of smell, the dogs sought out familiar Soviet tanks instead of strange-smelling German tanks.[7]"

Default Re: Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.

Quote by col james View Post
    poor doggy a suicide mission i take it
    Unless they could be trained to fix the charge, set the timer and make their escape then yes...a suicide mission. Damn not having those opposable thumbs!

The dogs did actually work and the Soviets claimed several hundred kills. I have read that the Soviets kept dogs for this use until the 1970's.

Here are some original pics of them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Thanks Scout.

The farm is a big work in progress: as Bee & Tim were going to have new heating fitted, this meant a trench needed to be dug from the farm house to one of the barns. So yours truly got stuck in and lifted the granite stone blocks and dug this trench. (Why do I always end up digging? I do enough at work and re-enactment events LOL!) But I was rewarded with cold beer! Tim made me wear his BD blouse. By sundown the pipes and electrical cable was half in place.
    who is that strange guy in these pics?

Heer Officers overcoat converted by a tailor for civilian wear post war.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The dogs did actually work and the Soviets claimed several hundred kills. I have read that the Soviets kept dogs for this use until the 1970's.

Here are some original pics of them.
    Great photos. BTW sorry to sort of side track your thread.

Hey, no worries, all part of the forum talking about stuff.

Large and impressive Nazi eagle with broken off swastika.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

The fate of many a wartime award, de-nazification.......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

I thought this was an important historical item.

Generaloberst Alfred Jodl's tunic, devoid of all insignia and the one he wore in the dock at Nuremberg. You can clearly see the quality of the tunic and where the collar tabs etc once sat.

Thank you Ade and Lez for that fascinating tour. The pictures are so good as are your notes.
    I'm propped up in bed at present but with laptop on bed table feel as though I've just visited Colditz myself! Truly a fine piece of work, it must have taken you ages to set it up for us. I will be going to Colditz again this evening!
    Many thanks again,
    Guy.

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast