Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

PRAG - views from the Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren

Article about: A short walk from the hotel, the former Gestapo HQ. The cells below still display several features of their days as a place of torment. During the occupation, upwards of 1,000 staff worked w

?

Default PRAG - views from the Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren

The city of Prague, a Bohemian centre of virtually incomparable beauty, has seen her fair share of history over the years. Compared to most other major sites across Europe, the city was relatively undamaged during WWII. Thankfully, for those of us with an interest in the period, many of the sites remain as they were during the occupation. This thread will gradually show some of these sites, starting with the famous castle at Hradčany (German-Hradschin), said to be the largest in the world.

1. A view across the Vltava (German-Moldau) river, over Karlův Most (German-Karlsbrücke) toward Hradčany.

2. The road leading up to the castle complex.

3-6. Various views of the castle.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PRAG - views from the Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren   PRAG - views from the Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren  

PRAG - views from the Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren   PRAG - views from the Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren  

PRAG - views from the Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren   PRAG - views from the Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren  

ian
    ?

Default Re: PRAG - views from the Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren

beutifull city ,, i enjoyed many good booze ups there before the euro made it to expencive
    as i also enjoyed Bratislava,, then the euro screwed that up as well

?

Hitler arrived at Prague castle in the middle of March 1939, shortly after German troops had secured the capital. The famous image of Hitler, gazing out of one of the castle windows at the city below, was reproduced on postage stamps such as the one shown below. Another well known image, also attached, shows Hitler being warmly greeted by a German crowd gathered outside the castle eagerly awaiting a glimpse of their Führer. During his overnight stay at the castle, Hitler was said to have enjoyed a glass of traditional Czech beer in addition to a meal containing meat.

1. Period image of Hitler appearing at a window of Prague castle, with an eager crowd gathered below.

2. Present day photograph for comparison.

3. Postage stamp depicting Hitler at a castle window, gazing down at Prague below.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PRAG - views from the Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren   PRAG - views from the Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren  

PRAG - views from the Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren  

?

ADOLF HITLER BARRACKS:

Located within the former Czech Army Staff College, the barracks were in the Dejvice (German-Dewitz) region, northwest of the centre of Prague. During the occupation, the large Platz der Wehrmacht area was home to a massive barracks building, which still serves a military purpose today.

1-2. Images of the former barracks building as it stands today.

3. Historical image of the area. The barracks building is shown on the right.

4. A modern image of the area.

I've never been there Carl, but it looks a beautiful city(as I would expect!!),hopefully I will get there one day! Leon.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    I've never been there Carl, but it looks a beautiful city(as I would expect!!),hopefully I will get there one day! Leon.

Indeed Leon, few places can match Prague for charm and beauty. I too hope that you are able to visit one day

?

SS HQ:

The area headquarters of the SS was located in this building, at Nürnberger Strasse 27, now the law faculty of Charles University on Pařížská (note: no number 27 exists today, but the building remains on the corner).

?

SA HQ:

The area headquarters of the SA were located at this site, at Stephangasse 36 (Štěpánská).

These are fantastic photos Carl, and what a beautiful looking city Prague is. As you know, I was a tour guide for many years and I met a lot of people that had travelled all over the world, there were two cities that I never heard a bad word spoken about, one was Edinburgh and the other was Prague. I hope to visit both at some stage. Great photos mate, thanks for taking the time to show them.

?

Super thread!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast