Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Prague Russian graves

Article about: great thread thank you all.

Default Prague Russian graves

Hello, in Prague I found these graves in a Russian cemetery, 500 m from Kafka...

These Generals and troops fought against German Army and were killed.
    The others from Vlassov were killed in the woods by Russians.

any more info please Lebus ?.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    any more info please Lebus ?.
    Yeah that would be appreciated!...

The graves are located at the Olšanské hřbitovy Cemetery in Prague. I understand that the monument with the "ROA" insigne was erected in 1993.

General Vladimir I. Bojarski was said to have been captured and subsequently killed by partisans in the vicinity of Příbram, although other versions of his death exist as well.*) General Michail M. Šapovalov and Major Karl-Ludwig Ottendorf were also ambushed, captured and subsequently killed.

During the Prague uprising in the final days of the war in Europe, the First Division of the Russian Liberation Army (ROA) had changed sides and fought against the Germans.

See here for additional images of the site:
    File:Ol
    File:Ol
    POA -

Numerous photographs of the uprising can be seen here:
    Czech Uprising in Prague 1945 photos

*) For German-speaking members, here is a thread on a German forum concerning Bojarski's fate:
    Forum der Wehrmacht | Bilder und Fotos | Suche Fotos von Bajersky (Bojarski)

Thank you very much you are as helpful as ever!....

?

There is a German Major there as well, I wonder why he would be burried in the Russian mass grave? I've been to Prague many times and I have to say it's one of my favorite citys in Europe, but I never heard about this one. I will for sure go there if I ever would be back. Thanks a lot for the info

Not easy to find, it's behind the cemetery where is Kafka, the new Jew cemetery.

When entering the cemetery

200 m from the ROA graves

?

Olše is a massive burial site. Prague locals have a phrase they use when they have performed hard physical work all day long that goes "I will end up on Olše!"

The whole area stretches for miles and was the location of some of the final fighting involving the last of the SS, some of whom refused to surrender and continued to hide out in the vast graveyard complex until they were killed. The various stories of buried German officers draws some to the area, but this is a site where many thousands are laid to rest and finding one unmarked grave among the endless rows of commemorative markers is pretty much a waste of time. We visited another graveyard - site of the resting places of the Heydrich assassins and Karl Frank, located north of the centre (Olše is east of the centre). See thread below for more details.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/histor...76/#post509682

Prague, like the majority of the Czech Republic, is covered with memorials. The Nazi occupants were here for longer than the entire period of the war, so the number of commemorative markers is no surprise. The fact that they are present and still remembered is testament to the preservation of the memory of those who lost their lives.

Regards,

Carl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast