Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pyramid of Capture German Helmets

Article about: came across this, im sure its been talked about before but to those who haven't sent its pretty cool. "taken in 1918, shows employees of the New York Central Railroad at a celebration i

Default Pyramid of Capture German Helmets

came across this, im sure its been talked about before but to those who haven't sent its pretty cool.

"taken in 1918, shows employees of the New York Central Railroad at a celebration in Victory Way, showing off a pyramid of recovered German helmets in front of Grand Central Terminal. There are two cannons in" the shot, one on either side; and there is a statue—possibly of Greek goddess of victory, Nike—on top of the pile. But seriously: that is a pretty crazy amount of helmets.

"Victory Way" was set up after World War I ended—captured German war equipment was displayed on Park Avenue just near Grand Central to help raise money for the 5th War Loan. Each end of Victory Way had a pyramid made up of 12,000 German helmets. The helmets were supposedly going to be given away to large contributors to the 5th War Loan. One can only imagine the reaction if such a display of war souvenirs was put up today." reddit

Pyramid of Capture German HelmetsPyramid of Capture German HelmetsPyramid of Capture German HelmetsPyramid of Capture German HelmetsPyramid of Capture German HelmetsPyramid of Capture German HelmetsPyramid of Capture German HelmetsPyramid of Capture German HelmetsPyramid of Capture German HelmetsPyramid of Capture German Helmets

?

I am pretty sure Robert Rankin, who authored a book on spikes, found these helmets in storage in Paris in the early 60s and sold them for $25 to $30.00 each.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    I am pretty sure Robert Rankin, who authored a book on spikes, found these helmets in storage in Paris in the early 60s and sold them for $25 to $30.00 each.
    I guess if the market is flooded with this many helmets all at once their value will quickly drop. Lets hope Doug stays fit and well for many years to come otherwise my one and only SS helmet will become worthless! Leon.

CBH
    ?

I believe these were in New York , for War-Bonds drive . I've also read that many spiked helmets in the US can still be found with nail holes from being attached to the pyramid , well at least 12000 or so .

?

CBH, funny you mention the nail holes in the back of the helmets, I have seen a couple with those holes over the years. Never knew why someone would "nail" a helmet to a wall in thier house, so now I know!!

Dean O
    Canada