Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

RAF Museum, Hendon.

Article about: I would love to see 505 in Chicago!!

Default Re: RAF Museum, Hendon & memorials, London

Quote by rbemer207 View Post
    Was the radar equipment on the Bf110 experimental? I hope i can go there one day looks like a spectacular museum too bad last time i was in England i wasn't that into wwii.
    Ryan
    I asked one of the guides about that, he told me that he thought it was standard equipment for night flying/nightfighters.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

De Havilland DH9A day bomber. A very elegant aircraft indeed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Museum, Hendon.   RAF Museum, Hendon.  

[COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Thunderbolt fighter-bomber.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Museum, Hendon.   RAF Museum, Hendon.  

RAF Museum, Hendon.  
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Curtiss Kittyhawk III.
    Meow!

Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

More photos from the Battle of Britain Hall.

RAF Museum, Hendon.   RAF Museum, Hendon.  

Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

These pics are superb guys!! I am defo going back this year now

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

You really should, Nick! It is awesome!
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Junkers Ju87 Stuka.........!
    Hmm.

I didn't realise this at the time but this Stuka is one of only two remaining intact examples of this aircraft in the world:

Two intact Ju 87s survive:

Ju 87 R-2/Trop. Werk Nr. 5954
    This aircraft is displayed in the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. It was abandoned in North Africa and found by British forces in 1941. The Ju 87 was donated by the British government and sent to the USA during the war. It was fully restored in 1974 by the EAA of Wisconsin.

Ju 87 G-2, Werk Nr. 494083.
    A later, ground-attack variant, this is displayed at the Royal Air Force Museum in London; it was captured by British troops in Germany in 1945. It is thought to have been built in 1943–1944 as a D-5 before being rebuilt as a G-2 variant, possibly by fitting G-2 outer wings to a D-5 airframe. After the war, it was one of 12 captured German aircraft selected by the British for museum preservation. In 1967, permission was given to use the aircraft in the film Battle of Britain and it was repainted and modified to resemble a 1940 variant of the Ju 87. The engine was found to be in excellent condition and there was little difficulty in starting it, but returning the aircraft to airworthiness was considered too costly for the filmmakers and ultimately, models were used in the film to represent Stukas. In 1998, the film modifications were removed, and the aircraft returned to the original G-2 configuration.

A shame really for such an iconic aircraft that only these two whole planes survive today. It makes a trip to the museum even more of a 'must see' for those who keep promising themselves a visit.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Hmm.

I didn't realise this at the time but this Stuka is one of only two remaining intact examples of this aircraft in the world:

Two intact Ju 87s survive:

Ju 87 R-2/Trop. Werk Nr. 5954
    This aircraft is displayed in the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. It was abandoned in North Africa and found by British forces in 1941. The Ju 87 was donated by the British government and sent to the USA during the war. It was fully restored in 1974 by the EAA of Wisconsin.

Ju 87 G-2, Werk Nr. 494083.
    A later, ground-attack variant, this is displayed at the Royal Air Force Museum in London; it was captured by British troops in Germany in 1945. It is thought to have been built in 1943–1944 as a D-5 before being rebuilt as a G-2 variant, possibly by fitting G-2 outer wings to a D-5 airframe. After the war, it was one of 12 captured German aircraft selected by the British for museum preservation. In 1967, permission was given to use the aircraft in the film Battle of Britain and it was repainted and modified to resemble a 1940 variant of the Ju 87. The engine was found to be in excellent condition and there was little difficulty in starting it, but returning the aircraft to airworthiness was considered too costly for the filmmakers and ultimately, models were used in the film to represent Stukas. In 1998, the film modifications were removed, and the aircraft returned to the original G-2 configuration.

A shame really for such an iconic aircraft that only these two whole planes survive today. It makes a trip to the museum even more of a 'must see' for those who keep promising themselves a visit.
    Maybe a lick of paint on this Stuka in the Sinsheim museum and there could be a third

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Museum, Hendon.  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Default Re: RAF Museum, Hendon.

Adrian and Christina: Great photo tour!!!
    A place I would like to visit someday.
    I have seen Ju 87 R-2/Trop. Werk Nr. 5954 In chicago. It is hanging from the Ceiling of the Museum of Science and Industry. The U-boat Display is one of my greatest adventures there. You can go inside the U-boat and see all of it. Also have a wing of the museum built just for this. All under one roof. Lots of artifacts also. I live just 4 hours from there.
    Thanks for sharing.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast