Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reitschule Soltau

Article about: Hello everyone, Im not sure if this is the correct place to put this question, Please feel free to move if necessary. During my time with BAOR I was posted to Bournmouth barracks, HQ 7 Armd

Default Reitschule Soltau

Hello everyone,

Im not sure if this is the correct place to put this question, Please feel free to move if necessary.

During my time with BAOR I was posted to Bournmouth barracks, HQ 7 Armd brigade at Soltau. The small barracks were locally known as the Reitschule and from what limited information I can find on the internet it would appear that initially it was a riding school for Imperial German officers founded in 1913 however by WW2 it had become a riding school for the SS. In 1993 British troops handed the barracks back into private hands and it is now used as offices, Doctors practices etc. Pretty much all of the building are still in situe the menage being used for corporate events.

I would be interested in hearing if other members have further information regarding the reitschule or even period photos.

Many thanks

Robin

Reitschule SoltauReitschule Soltau

Then and now.

Default Re: Reitschule Soltau

Cant help with your request Robin but I remember live firing on Luneberg Heath in the 80's and going into Soltau on the beer !!

Great times

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Nick,

Luneberg Heide in the winter was no fun place, But evenings in the corner bar and then onto the country club ( nightclub ) to try out my german on the local girls and watch the customary end of evening Locals v Turks wrestling match was always fun.

?

The thread was posted in the correct forum Robin, no issues there. And thanks for posting too, an interesting post.

Regards,

Carl

?

Robin i have been there a few times as a great friend of mine who is a Waffen SS Veteran lives nor far from the Barracks, from what he has told me your info is correct.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks Paul, Its a great town with wonderful friendly residents. my only regret is not speaking a bit more with the older generation during my time there in the 80's. Please give my regards to your friend one ex soldier to another.

?

Quote by robin morley View Post
    Thanks Paul, Its a great town with wonderful friendly residents. my only regret is not speaking a bit more with the older generation during my time there in the 80's. Please give my regards to your friend one ex soldier to another.
    Will do mate he served with the DF Regiment of Das Reich , i have visited Soltau many times it is a lovely town !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by robin morley View Post
    Hi Nick,

Luneberg Heide in the winter was no fun place, But evenings in the corner bar and then onto the country club ( nightclub ) to try out my german on the local girls and watch the customary end of evening Locals v Turks wrestling match was always fun.
    I guess it was not just the Americans who had fun with the Turks at the end of the night.
    Good time my friend.
    chris

Kruse
    ?

Hi Robin
    In around 1955 I visited the Reitschule where my mother worked as a German clerk in, what I thought, was the RTO (Railway Transport Office). I was only 11 years old and have only limited recollections. My mother subsequently married one of the British soldiers and I ended up in the UK for the rest of my life. I would like to collect some details about the RTO and Marc(us) Bush, my step-father-to-be.
    Where you there around that time?
    N.B. My mother, Eva Kruse, worked there from the late 40s to the late 50s

Look forward to hearing from you (or any other forum member)
    Gunther

Hello Gunter,

1955 was a little before my time.I was stationed there in the early 80's. I do not recall there then being a RTO within the barracks but of course could be wrong. I belong to a closed group on Facebook which is solely for soldiers of 11 Ord coy who were based at Soltau, Ifyou send me by PM specific questions you would like asked I will speak with them and see what I can find out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast