Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remains of a British soldier

Article about: by lithgow I believe the picture is posed-a body takes some time to be in that state-all the equipment is arranged around the remains and shows no evidence of being overgrown or subject to e

Default Re: Remains of a British soldier

Blimey, how obvious a posed photo. The kit does not have any degradation commensurate with the 'body'. Rifles were collected as were most salvageble weapons. Chinese were employed to collect the dead.getting more for british and commonwealth than german so german bits were enhanced with acoutrements, i.e. Buttons badges. The main question is why make up a picture like this, and it is probaly for shock value. I will have a look at covenents of death book for similar pics.

Quote by diver99 View Post
    Blimey, how obvious a posed photo. The kit does not have any degradation commensurate with the 'body'. Rifles were collected as were most salvageble weapons. Chinese were employed to collect the dead.getting more for british and commonwealth than german so german bits were enhanced with acoutrements, i.e. Buttons badges. The main question is why make up a picture like this, and it is probaly for shock value. I will have a look at covenents of death book for similar pics.

With respect, I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. It really doesn't take long for a body to decompose away to just a skeleton. Also, with the availability of scavengers on the battlefield, ie, rats and insects, the body would be stripped of flesh in short order. Also, you would be surprised how well wool and leather hold up to the elements. It's true that MOST bodies would have been collected, but not all......which is why they are still turning up today. My feeling on this photo is that it is not faked, but rather an actual recovery from the battlefield. It's probably a soldier that was overlooked for many months......it happened all the time. Men simply went missing during battle and many of them were never found again. Shock value? This is the Western Front we are talking about.........one would simply have to train his camera at the huge numbers of dead and torn up corpses lying around.....why bother to make something up when there was so much horror simply scattered about?

Again, this is my feeling on it and I certainly don't mean any disrespect for your opinion at all.

Best,
    Tim

?

I have several unique photos of the great war like this in some of my books . One shows the uniformed skeletal remains of a poor tommy fully clothed down to his Patt'14 equipment with a bullet peirced helmet and likewise bullet peirced skull. No weapon present and all there down to the finger bones. Another photo shows a mostly skeletal german laid out across /into a hole with all his gear sans a rifle...completely intact with no traces of bugs nor trophy hunters. It was an early war photo. There are more than a couple of clothed skeletal remains of french soldiers - some with equipment but rarely with their rifles...... and often socked feet as their boots were salvaged shortly after their demise no doubt.
    This photo is likely staged in only that the skull may have been no longer upon the body for a multitude of reasons and was placed on the 'balance' of the remains for the photos effect. The jawbone could have easily been carried off by small animals and or was blown off. No telling but these types of pics are not rare from the great war and to me not often "staged".

[Shock value? This is the Western Front we are talking about.........one would simply have to train his camera at the huge numbers of dead and torn up corpses lying around.....why bother to make something up when there was so much horror simply scattered about?
    Best,
    Tim[/QUOTE]

Tim, nothing wrong with healthy debate and I agree with what your saying to a point, but manipulation of evidence has been around as long as the 'captured image' has portrayed history. And even more so since the camera has been used to tell a story.

Photojournalism Ethics: Chapter Six

10 Most Famous Doctored Photos - Oddee.com (famous photographs, fake photos...)

This picture in Hammerton's WW1 about collecting rifles. I know many items of kit were lost, as people wouldn't be digging them up. But in relation to the photo, the equipment and nature of the skeleton I think this should be thrown into the pot for discussion.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	395643

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123