Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Scampton church yard

Article about: I have been to Scampton village church, Lincolnshire which is the final resting place of some British, Canadian and Australian airmen. There are also eleven graves of German airmen. The link

Default Scampton church yard

I have been to Scampton village church, Lincolnshire which is the final resting place of some British, Canadian and Australian airmen. There are also eleven graves of German airmen. The link below will explain as to why one German plane piloted by Feldwebel Heinrich Conze came to its final resting place killing a member of the observer Corps in the process. The only member of the Observer Corps to die on duty in the war.
    For those that don't know R.A.F Scampton was the home of 617 Sqn Dambusters for the attack on the Dams. Guy Gibsons dog is buried on the base.
    I chose not to take any pictures of the base as it is still partly operational and is now home to the Red Arrows. I am not quite sure on the R.A.F's stance on pictures being taken etc.
    It is possible to follow a lot of the perimeter fence around the base by road. Most of the original fencing is still in place from the wartime. (This has been replaced by more modern fencing).
    I'll try to get over on a brighter day to do the place more justice. The images I took I have played around with them a little.

My apologies for the blurred shot of the double German grave.
    The German graves are located at the front slightly away from the Commenwealth graves.

Conze
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Scampton church yard   Scampton church yard  

Scampton church yard   Scampton church yard  

Default Re: Scampton church yard

Nice thread and thanks for the good pics.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Interesting thread, any ideas where Mr Kelway was buried, having been killed on active duty and by enemy aircraft action i find it strange that he was not offered a plot in Scampton and the German crews were, after all, it was his actions, although not intentionally, that diverted the enemy from the airfield,or perhaps he was laid to rest in his local cemetary and a memorial was erected locally

Nice pics, I have visited their many times as I was born and raised just 4 miles away

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Beautifully kept graveyard, which I always like to see. And you must be commended on posting some nice images Dave, well done.

Regards,

Carl

Great thread as the guys have said thanks for the info and pics. Here are some pics of 15 RAF men who died in Oklahoma in training accidents and was burried in Miami Oklahoma about 30 miles from me. The one large grave is a kind Lady that took care of the graves for years bless them all.

Eric

Scampton church yardScampton church yardScampton church yardScampton church yardScampton church yardScampton church yardScampton church yardScampton church yardScampton church yardScampton church yard
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Here is the rest of the pics.

Scampton church yardScampton church yardScampton church yardScampton church yardScampton church yardScampton church yardScampton church yardScampton church yard
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

I am not sure where Mr Kelway is buried. I do not think he was from Scampton so he is most probably buried in his local village.
    Nick, I grew up close to Waddington so I was lucky enough to see the Vulcan on a regular basis until it was grounded!
    Eric, great photos. It's easy to forget that a large amount of R.A.F were sent to North America to train.

Quote by davesap250 View Post
    I am not sure where Mr Kelway is buried. I do not think he was from Scampton so he is most probably buried in his local village.
    Nick, I grew up close to Waddington so I was lucky enough to see the Vulcan on a regular basis until it was grounded!
    Eric, great photos. It's easy to forget that a large amount of R.A.F were sent to North America to train.
    Me too Dave, I schooled in North Hykeham and loved see those Vulcans fly over so low )

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Thanks for posting Dave and Eric. I must admit i've always promised myself i would do a trip to Scampton and the surrounding areas ,always been interested in Guy Gibson, hopefully might get there this year. Has anyone been to the pub in Lincoln that has all the Bomber Command memoroblia in it ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast