Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

section's of berlin wall ,koblenz

Article about: heres a picture that i have recently found and i would like to share ,it was from our vacation last year to the rhineland in germany, the three sections of berlin wall are on a headland in K

Default section's of berlin wall ,koblenz

heres a picture that i have recently found and i would like to share ,it was from our vacation last year to the rhineland in germany, the three sections of berlin wall are on a headland in Koblenz where two rivers the Moselle and the Rhine convergesection's of berlin wall ,koblenz
    Regards James

?

Default Re: section's of berlin wall ,koblenz

Thanks for the snap Col..I've been there a few times Koblenz but that was back in 90s.lovely place I thought....Cheers Terry.

Nice Pic! Another place i hope to visit

Thanks for sharing, I have a small piece of the wall with graffiti on it that my sisters father in law brought back with him after a visit there in the 90's

In 1980 I travelled from Travemunde to East Berlin by train with a Robirch Pork Pie that had been given to me for lunch that morning, in my pocket. After several hours travelling I rocked up at Checkpoint Charlie and after the usual visa checks and vehicle search, crossed into West Berlin where I got off the bus and went for a wander along the wall next to the river Spree. There were several small crosses there where people who had attempted escape from the east had been shot or drowned, or both.

As I gazed at these and moved on, I became increasingly angry in the way only a 14 year old testosterone fuelled ninja can be, and worked myself up into such a state that before I knew it, the by now warm, mushy pie, minus it's cellophane wrapping, was winging it's way like a lightning bolt to the wall as if thrown by Ian Botham himself. Considering that Robirch Pork Pies were pretty hard, and generally they used to rattle like a cup with a dice in it, the warmed meat filled projectile exploded impressively against the wall leaving a satisfying grease stain and fluorescent pink minced pork splattered over it.

I then hoofed it pronto, before I got into trouble with the nearby American troops, my personal resentment against the evil red scourge of communism suitably demonstrated.

I don't think Robirch make pies anymore....Which isn't a bad thing.

And I don't know why i've just posted this random memory either.
    Maybe it's PTPD or Post Traumatic Pie Disorder?

section's of berlin wall ,koblenz

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

great story ned ,thanks for sharing
    Last edited by James C; 05-10-2013 at 04:15 AM.
    Regards James

?

Big Ned my local butchers does a nice line in Pork pies..I can you something! I wouldn't be throwing them at any wall, not the prices they charge for 1!!!!..You must been minted back the 80s? lol..Cheers Terry.

Quote by Tango View Post
    Big Ned my local butchers does a nice line in Pork pies..I can you something! I wouldn't be throwing them at any wall, not the prices they charge for 1!!!!..You must been minted back the 80s? lol..Cheers Terry.
    Terry,

Being of a military bent, I would have thought you may have been familiar with the notorious S1 rat pack. In the 70's and 80's it invariably used to contain, if I remember correctly, a sandwich made with cheese, possessed, a hard boiled egg (still in the shell), a 'Robirch' pork pie,(we called them "Cannonballs") a bag of 'Champion' crisps, a 'Blue Riband' biscuit, a can of 'Rola Cola' and, if you were lucky, an apple or if they pushed the boat out, maybe an orange. Hardly the food of the God's I can tell you when produced on a budget of around 50p or less.

Compared to American day rations this was rubbish, their's were fantastic compared, although I always used to swap the 'Otis Spunkmeyer Blueberry Muffin' with someone else because the name used to put me off.....

As for being minted, you must be joking mate, I was born in a two up two down hovel just outside Wolverhampton that Mum, Dad, me and our kid shared with 3 other famillies and cholera.......

It's a miracle i'm still alive.

Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Funny you should that Ned I was eating the old Spunkies out in Iraq in 2006..the name is a little dodgy on a good day!! lol..& as for ration packs I didn't join the Army until 1987..But I can say the Haverbags haven't changed one bit!!! Still minging..I think the drink in something like Panda pop...& as for the sarnies with seemed to have a lot of Cheese & onion minus the cheese!!!! lol....Cheers Terry.

Quote by Tango View Post
    Funny you should that Ned I was eating the old Spunkies out in Iraq in 2006..the name is a little dodgy on a good day!! lol..& as for ration packs I didn't join the Army until 1987..But I can say the Haverbags haven't changed one bit!!! Still minging..I think the drink in something like Panda pop...& as for the sarnies with seemed to have a lot of Cheese & onion minus the cheese!!!! lol....Cheers Terry.
    I personally had a weakness for "Little Debbies" cakes and cookies when I worked in the States. The things were practically radioactive there was that much food colouring in them, and enough sugar in a single bite to kill several diabetics instantly. Another favourite was "Hostess Twinkies", sometimes deep fried in batter!

I believe that sadly the company has gone out of business recently, which is a shame, as the deep fried double Twinkie with chocolate sauce and icing sugar was a revelation.

Time for my Metformin, Ned.