Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses

Article about: by NunoGTI Hi Joe, im very curious about the Fort William Henry, the wood from the walls, is it original? Its fascinating. Cheers Nuno Hi Nuno, The fort is not original, unfortunately. Follo

Gents, I will try and get out very soon and get pics, within a 10 mile radius I have lots of castles and Grand Halls

Peveril Castle - built by William Peveril shirtly after 1066 trusted knight of William the Conqueror's
    Bolsover Castle (2 miles away) - Founded in the 12th Century by the Peveril family
    Hardwick Hall - 1590, once held Mary Queen of Scots for a while
    Hadden Hall - 11th Century
    Chatsworth House - 1549, owned by House of Cavendish family
    Ben

Of note in the grounds of Hardwick Hall is where they used to train the Airborne troops for the D Day landings, they had a massive assault course there what my Father used to play on lol
    Ben

?

The rock of Cashel, Co. Tipperary.

It was the traditional seat of the kings of Munster. Before the Norman invasion.

?

The Blarney Castle.

Incase you every wanted to kiss the Blarney Stone and get the gift of the gab

?

Dunlace castle in Northern Ireland I think.

Outstanding photos Pat. Beautiful places

Today i visited the fortress city of Almeida.
    This is an image of the second gate.
    When possible i will post more photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses   Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  

Being located only 15 minutes from the Almeida, on the Spanish side of the border, this is the "real fuerte de concepcion".
    Abandoned for many decades, its now private property and the new owner has began its recovery. With a 4 star hotel in the main square.
    Been there today.
    Its a wonderful place.
    Will post detailed photos when possible.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses   Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  

Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses   Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Being located only 15 minutes from the Almeida, on the Spanish side of the border, this is the "real fuerte de concepcion".
    Abandoned for many decades, its now private property and the new owner has began its recovery. With a 4 star hotel in the main square.
    Been there today.
    Its a wonderful place.
    Will post detailed photos when possible.
    I know this is a spanish fortification, but this is a great place and it was an adventure to look for it.
    Keep posting guys.
    Cheers
    Nuno

This is the Portuguese fort of kilwa kisiwani, located in African costline.
    Abandoned after the loss of the island strategic importance, it was destroyed to prevent capture by other forces.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast