Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses

Article about: by NunoGTI Hi Joe, im very curious about the Fort William Henry, the wood from the walls, is it original? Its fascinating. Cheers Nuno Hi Nuno, The fort is not original, unfortunately. Follo

We have two castles in our town. First the ruin of castle ter Elst built before the 12th century. And the second castle Gevers built in 1850.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses   Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  

Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses   Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  

Quote by Kevin Grootaers View Post
    We have two castles in our town. First the ruin of castle ter Elst built before the 12th century. And the second castle Gevers built in 1850.
    Hi, do you know the history behind the ruins?
    What happened to it?

Cheers
    Nuno

This is going to sound stupid, but this one is about 8 miles from where I live.......and I have never really been to it.

Looked over the fence and that was it.

Ashby de la Zouch Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thise is where my wife and I got married; Veltwijck Ekeren.
    The two other buildings are very nearby the first one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses   Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  

Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Hi, do you know the history behind the ruins?
    What happened to it?

Cheers
    Nuno
    The German army bombed the castle and the rest of the town in 1914.

What a terrific thread! There are some fantastic pictures here gents, thanks to all for posting, they're all stunning locations.

I agree Dave. This thread was a great idea Nuno.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    there is also a nice castle at Wijndaleby Torhout W/Flanderen.I believe that's where the King Leopold signed the surrender in 1940.you can visit it,lots of German names on the lead roofing.

- - ------- - -

Wijnandale by Torhout.
    Here it is!

Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses   Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  

cheers
    |<ris

?

We have two castles in my immediate home town area, (Mexborough, near Doncaster in South Yorkshire)
    The first one, (first 4 pics), in Conisbrough, is easily recognised as a castle, originally built c12th century by the local Norman lord. It is mentioned and referred to in Sir Walter Scott's book "Ivanhoe" as "Conisburgh" on numerous occasions. One of these pic's depicts the castle is believed to have appeared when it was built.

The second one is today, (the bottom three photos), not really recognisable as a fort as such, but for those that know. it was originally an Iron Age fort, subsequently taken and expanded by the Romans and finished life as a Motte and Bailley fort. It is now the home of the town war memorial and Garden of Remembrance. Mexborough is also mentioned numerous times in Ivanhoe, under it's old name of Mexburgh.

In 1859 fortifications were build around Antwerp under the supervision of general Henri Alexis Brialmont (Henri Alexis Brialmont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    I remember as a child many forts being still in use.Spend many hours there first in search of anything military related, later with girlfriends to enjoy...nature!!!;-) They were huge labyrints, but I am sure even blindfoilded I would still find my way out today!
    Last one to close was Mortsel were still German WWII painted signs can be found....
    Most of them are converted in small natural parks and different leisure associations occupy the buildings. Wommelgem fort has a police museum for instance!
    More info can be found at;National redoubt of Belgium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cheers
    |<ris

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast