Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Somme 2017

Article about: Will be off to France again tomorrow, will be back on the Somme July 1st, will be on Hawthorn Ridge at 07:20am Cheers

Default Somme 2017

Will be off to France again tomorrow, will be back on the Somme July 1st, will be on Hawthorn Ridge at 07:20am

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Somme 2017  

Just back from the Somme, another great trip, without being too profound, thought this was an apt image...

Any relics seen on the ground or is it all completely cleaned up? I understand that the Local Farmers keep a pile of the things they find while working their fields...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Any relics seen on the ground or is it all completely cleaned up? I understand that the Local Farmers keep a pile of the things they find while working their fields...
    cheers, Glenn
    Funny you should say that....

Strictly out of Curiosity...I hope you're able to post more photos of the area...
    cheers, Glenn

Came across this beauty in the middle of a field north of Beaumont Hamel !

It was partially covered with weeds, I carefully cleared them away to take the pictures !

I was reliably informed later it was a British 4.5 inch Howitzer round
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Somme 2017   Somme 2017  

Somme 2017   Somme 2017  

Somme 2017  

Thank You so much for posting...I've always been fascinated by the WWI Battlefields that remain saturated with Ordnance after 100 years...One of these days I hope to walk the Somme Battlefield...as well as Verdun...and Metz...and and and....
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Thank You so much for posting...I've always been fascinated by the WWI Battlefields that remain saturated with Ordnance after 100 years...One of these days I hope to walk the Somme Battlefield...as well as Verdun...and Metz...and and and....
    cheers, Glenn
    Hi Glenn

Its a pleasure
    The " Iron Harvest " as they call it must be diminishing somewhat these days, but there are still these treasures to be found

The weather was not great this weekend but i still managed a few good miles ..

Cheers

MAP
    ?

Very nice

Who would think that 100 years later you would find something like this sitting right there
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I also found this nice piece of shell fragment near to the crest of Hawthorn Ridge, was in British front line positions so most likely German. I don't normally pick these up, but brought this piece back this year

Was walking in the British front line positions at Gommecourt last July 1st 2016 and found lots and lots of shell fragments, they took a right shellacking that morning, and the evidence is clear to see

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast