Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

U 2540, The Wilhelm Bauer

Article about: Greetings all U Boat enthusiasts! Here are the promised pictures of U 2540 - the ONLY surviving U Boat of WW2 vintage which is still floating on water. The U 2540 is a type XX1 which was com

?

I really enjoyed the pictures friend.
    I took a couple of tours on a WW II US submarine outside of Muskogee Oklahoma that had been brought up the Mississippi River then the Arkansas River. I was struck by how small the inside space was. In movies they give you the impression that they are bigger.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    I really enjoyed the pictures friend.
    I took a couple of tours on a WW II US submarine outside of Muskogee Oklahoma that had been brought up the Mississippi River then the Arkansas River. I was struck by how small the inside space was. In movies they give you the impression that they are bigger.
    Very true. I went inside one at Pearl Harbor and experienced how hot and humid it was inside one stationed in a tropical enviroment. It was not a very plush enviroment.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Where is U2540 Docked currently?

Its at Bremerhaven on permanent display. And this was the big shock for me. When my daughter and myself went to see U 534 it cost £12.50p each. When she and my son-in-law went to U 2540 the other day it cost about £4 for both of them!

She has been in touch and tells me she has many more pictures of the boat. I'm hoping she got to view the engine room. When I get them I will post them

Cheers,
    Steve.
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

Very nice, thank you for sharing with us Harry! I'd love to visit it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12