Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

U 534

Article about: The Missus and me took the Grandson for a day out to Liverpool yesterday, we decided to get the ferry across to the U boat museum. On arrival you go into an indoor display which tells you th

Unhappy U 534

U 534U 534U 534U 534U 534U 534U 534U 534U 534U 534U 534U 534U 534U 534U 534

The Missus and me took the Grandson for a day out to Liverpool yesterday, we decided to get the ferry across to the U boat museum. On arrival you go into an indoor display which tells you the history and time line of the U 534 and there are quite a few items on display recovered from the wreck.
    The main part of the museum is the U boat it's self which to be quite honest has been butchered by chopping it into pieces, why the hell they couldn't leave it whole and cut viewing ports into the sides is beyond me.
    You do get an idea of how claustrophobic it was to live on a U boot, watching das Boot makes a U boat look more spacious than it really was, even the bigger areas like the control room really are tiny.
    It must have cost an absolute fortune to recover U 534, but now the thing is literally falling apart before your eyes, a gust of wind ripped off a rusty lump of outer hull as i watched. You would think there would be more effort made to preserve the wreck, i reckon in about 10 years there will only be the inner pressure hull left.
    On the plus side though the Grandson loved it!...

?

Thanks Gunny...

This has been posted before but it is good to see a recent thread addressing the boat. I was fortunate to visit several times when the guided tours actually walked you through the length of the boat...it was an amazing experience...the marks of the water inside the boat stay in the mind, as does the general atmosphere...they were very, very brave men...mostly very young too...

I will not add to your comments regarding what was done to the boat...I have already vented that on here before! Rather, I will enjoy my glass of red I have here and remember the experience I was fortunate enough to enjoy a few years back.

Carl

I was going to accuse you of causing that huge dent when you reversed your car Gunny! Sad to see this old girl falling apart like this, but at least your Grandson had a great day out and it is a day such as this that will live long in his memory and hopefully fire up his love of history!! Well done Gunny. Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    I was going to accuse you of causing that huge dent when you reversed your car Gunny! Sad to see this old girl falling apart like this, but at least your Grandson had a great day out and it is a day such as this that will live long in his memory and hopefully fire up his love of history!! Well done Gunny. Leon.
    Cheers Leon, not guilty about the dent as that was the depth charge damage that brought about her demise!...

Thanks for story and pics!! Love to see it up close myself.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post

On the plus side though the Grandson loved it!...
    This is what matters most in this hobby teaching it to the next generation

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Your an awesome PopPop!!! The little man looks like he had a great time! I'll have to Wiki this one to see what the story is behind it!
    Thanks for the pic's Gunny

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Pigeons used to live within gaps among some of the outer panels...was always a strange sight that...

And when she was complete, the AA deck gun (a rare Twin 3.7 cm Flakzwilling M43U on DLM42 mount) pointed skyward - had not been moved since the day the boat went down (5.V.1945) with the guns aiming at the plane that sank her.

Below is a link to an older thread, addressing the boat as she was when brought to the surface and later, when having been frequented as a popular historical museum site and later still, when they took the decision to cut the boat up.

U-534

I know U-505 is located in Chicago Ill and if I recall correctly was the first military vessel captured by the US since The War of 1812. One of the members of my Veterans of Foreign Wars Post who is now deceased was a Navy Officer in WWII and was involved in it's capture. I believe it is pretty well preserved, however modifications have been made to allow for easier access.

Such a shame they had to cut it up into pieces.

I kick myself now that back in the late 90s I used to drive past it almost every week on my way to Asda in Liscard, I wasn't really that interested in WW2 History back in those days, so only used to glance at it and not really pay it the attention it deserved.
    Annoys me now really.

They should have just taken it back out to sea and let it rest in peace. What they have done to it now is awful.
    The battle of the Atlantic was synonymous with Merseyside, but they would rather spend money on mosques....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast