Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

U Boat Pens

Article about: I`m planning a trip to France in August. I really would like to see the U boat pens in the flesh but everywhere I read the incentive is offputting as it appears they`re all off limits. What

Default U Boat Pens

I`m planning a trip to France in August. I really would like to see the U boat pens in the flesh but everywhere I read the incentive is offputting as it appears they`re all off limits. What ones are the best t get up close? I read somewhere that there`s a bar nearby one of the areas that U boat crew frequented that is run by the daughter of the woman who served the crews during the war. This of course cannot be guaranteed but is there anyone that could offer me some pointers. I`d be driving south then taking the ferry and driving on.

thanks

Brian

?

Default Re: U Boat Pens

Brian, a fantastic idea for a trip. Certainly Lorient offers opportunities. Take a look at the links below, hopefully they will be of some benefit to you. Look forward to hearing all about it when you have returned.

Regards,

Carl

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/after-...ne-pens-86676/

uboat.net - Boats - Flotillas - Bases

Excellent reading. Thanks.

?

You're welcome Brian. I would also suggest a stop at Liverpool/Merseyside on your way down from Scotland. The "U-Boat Story" museum will be of great interest to you if you haven't already visited. Although they cut up U-534 several years ago (don't get me started on that decision), she still makes for an interesting visit. The attached museum is also very good.

Regards,

Carl

?

Lorient is open and guided tours are available to look around the place. I went a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    Although they cut up U-534 several years ago (don't get me started on that decision)

Regards,

Carl
    I,ve already been and seen it Carl and although I wasn,t impressed at the butchering of the boat it,s better than it being scrapped. The centre was good to be fair and worth a visit.

The pens are something I need to see though. On another note, where I live was a very important place at the end of the war regarding the the surrender of the Atlantic fleet U boats in 1945. Operation Deadlight I think it was called. There was many prisoner of war camps set up in the surrounding country side. One near me remains pretty much untouched having only been used by farm animals. Maybe worth a look.

?

I would take a look Brian & don't forget your camera..I like looking around places like that see what you can find out local history & stuff!!!.. Cheers Terry.