Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USA National World War 2 Museum (Picture Heavy)

Article about: Good Evening, I recently traveled to Fort Polk for military training. While we were there we were given a very RARE day off. Our battalion commander knew a curator at the National WW2 museum

Default USA National World War 2 Museum (Picture Heavy)

Good Evening,
    I recently traveled to Fort Polk for military training. While we were there we were given a very RARE day off. Our battalion commander knew a curator at the National WW2 museum in New Orleans and was able to schedule a trip for those who wanted to go. I, being the history nut that I am, immediately jumped aboard this expedition.

One early wake up and about a four hour drive later, we were at the museum. Unbeknownst to me, this trip was going to be much more special that a normal trip to the museum. Our curator actually brought us up into the vault of the museum and showed up many rare artifact from the war that they did not have on display. I am the unit historian for my battalion due to my love of history. The only other person with more knowledge than my own in the war is the BC. In the vault we were shown uniforms from MOH recipients as well as different helmets from the different sides in the war and even a collapsible British bicycle. Perhaps the coolest part of this experience was when the curator opened the weapons vault. He passed around weapons from both the axis and allied sides of the war. I actually got to hold an original STG-44, MG-34, MG-42 as well as other weapons. I was drooling all over these weapons of war.

After we finished in the vault, we moved to one of the main buildings. This building had a Sherman Tank, Stewart Tank, as well as multiple aircraft hanging from the ceiling. Our curator actually gave us the go ahead to climb around on the Sherman and check it out. Naturally I wanted to see what this "Tin Can" was like on the inside. It had a lot more room in it compared to what I expected. However I still would not want to be in one of these things!

After we checked these vehicles out for a bit, our BC wanted us to walk around the museum longed and look at our roots and where we had come from. I naturally spent about 2 more hours in the museum PAST when the rest of our soldiers headed to Bourbon Street. I could have literally spent days in the museum and I honestly think that it would be a dream job if I could work there one day after my military career ends. Enjoy the pictures!

Thaddeus
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USA National World War 2 Museum (Picture Heavy)   USA National World War 2 Museum (Picture Heavy)  

USA National World War 2 Museum (Picture Heavy)   USA National World War 2 Museum (Picture Heavy)  

USA National World War 2 Museum (Picture Heavy)   USA National World War 2 Museum (Picture Heavy)  

I had been meaning to post a thread asking if anyone had been there yet. It's on my list for this year. Very cool!.. Except for the backwards swastika..?? Awesome pics and thank you for your service to our country.

?

Great VIP tour, thanks for sharing!
    Regards,
    John

Cheers Mate- love seeing threads like this.

That museum is great! I went a day on my honeymoon(my wife is an enabler). I really enjoyed all of the artifacts, and think its a well laid out museum. Did you get a chance to watch the "4d" film in the theater?

I loved the museum. UK Cousin I did not even notice that the swastika was backwards until you pointed it out! I wonder why it looked like that?

Nathan - I did not get the chance to see the film but on my next trip (whenever it may be) I definitely will be going to check it out!

T

?

Planes and tank are Excellent!

I agree colt! Wish I won the lottery....

Very nice!!! I did the exact same tour behind the scenes! So much cool stuff!

The German boots that where worn on d day.

Going through each draw of firearms of every country.

Funny when I was there 4 years ago the Sherman tank was in a warehouse. Still could go inside it. In the Warehouse They also had planes and jeeps and trucks that you could jump in!

The 4d was also pretty cool, it was narrated by Tom hanks

Btw the backwards swastic flag was probably made by the Italians, I have seen quite a few of them like that. Seems the Italians really didn't care.

Thanks for the comments Danny! I wish that they had some of the aircraft open to walk around in! A few years ago I got to fly in a B17 (The Aluminum Overcast) It was a lot of fun!

T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast